Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Correct or Incorrect?    

Correct or Incorrect?

Mar0919
Mexico

Correct or Incorrect?

Hi, everybody! I have a doubt! I �ll be working on animal body parts next week, and I don �t know if it �s correct to say "skin" for animals. I usually teach "fur" but, for example with animals that don �t have "fur".... I kind of associate fur with "hairy" LOL!!! example: bears, etc. but for seals, or animals that are not "hairy".... can I say skin? or does it have to be "fur"?

5 Dec 2010      

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Yes, we can use skin for animals like fish , snakes , whales...etc.

5 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Fur is the "hair" of an animal. Skin is different, as our skin is different from our hair. So, you �re right that we only talk about fur on "hairy" animals.

Also, when the skin is off of the animal, it is called a "pelt".

Bruce

5 Dec 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Pretty and Bruce, for your responses! I learned something new today Bruce! thanks, didn �t know about "pelt"!

Have a nice weekend, or what �s left of it!!!

Mar

5 Dec 2010     

ezeca
Argentina

HI. Just in case you need extra practice on that topic for your students, on unit 4 of What �s up? 1 Longman,  that theme is developed. If you don �t have the book at hand, just let me know  and I �ll send some scanned pages to you. Have a good day. Elisabet.

6 Dec 2010