Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > cough syrup or duct tape...    

cough syrup or duct tape...

roneydirt
United States

cough syrup or duct tape...

"So which is better cough syrup or duct tape for rowdy students"

"I don �t know, I usually eat them..."

TongueWinkBig smile

Now time for a Christmas story... 

Had an English teacher that was way past her retirement time and had to walk with a cane.  She would swing the cane at students when she even thought they were up to no good.  Which was even further problematic after she broke her hip.  She became even angrier...  Well some of us "bad boys" talked to our favorite teachers and asked what to do...  That same day someone made her cane disappear.  After a bit of dicussion an idea popped up in these students heads....  The next day was the beginning of December and she came wobbling into the class and what was sitting on her desk.  A four prong cane wrapped like a candy cane and a slingshot with soft balls to shoot at us "evil" students....  She cried and went home.  The next day she came back using that Christmas tree cane and appologized to all the classes but letting the real trouble makers know she will still clamp down on any misbehaving.  Let �s just say the last days before winter break were a bit nicer in the class.  No more cane bashing...

Shocking things to do and not just for the holidays... 

-give a surprise gift even to that mean teacher/co-worker/student/parent.
-wear something silly once in awhile (hey throws people off, and can start interesting conversations)
-sit in a student �s desk waiting for class to begin and the teacher to start...  (raise your hand and ask where is the teacher...)
-say a line from a play...  randomly
-wake a student with a hug, head massage, crying, other...  but make sure it isn �t because they are sick...
-random music video or video clip
-random calls or visits just to see how the student is doing...
-random classroom furniture change...

16 Dec 2010      

magneto
Greece

Good story, Roney...Reminds me of things we did to certain teachers...Hope I �ll never get to find out how they felt!

P.S.: I �ve done this "sit in a student �s desk waiting for class to begin and the teacher to start...  (raise your hand and ask where is the teacher...)"...You should have seen the look on their faces!LOL

16 Dec 2010     

ellakass
Israel

So nice ideas Roney! Sometimes we are too serious...

16 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Roney..that reminds me of a teacher I had in HS. She was an old broad that would not allow anyone to cough or sneeze in class. If you did, she would chew u out and send u out of the room. She would say that one could control those things. One day as classes were changing someone sprayed mace into the class. She turned all shades of red trying to control herself. Finally she stuck her head out the window and let out a cough. She turned around and continued her class as if nothing had happened.

16 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Ed, that is one SCARY teacher!

16 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

She was actually a softy..It was all a fa�ade once you got to know her.

16 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Ed facade or not... handling mace with only a cough is a hard thing to do...  I been placed in a sealed room and sprayed with  mace and tear gas to make us face it without running or coughing.  Any signs of weakness was punished.  

Was raised military and those that had the pleasure of visiting certain bootcamps can testify to that as well.

16 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Roney.. she wasn �t maced directly. A squirt of mace into the room in her general direction. The room was full of students and thankfully we weren �t affected.

16 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Ron as to your initial question...neither...Two words for you ...tay sers.

16 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

Btw... cough syrup is better for rowdy students, duct tape just slows them down!!! lol

Sorry, have a cold myself and feeling a bit goofy. Must be the cough medicine. Embarrassed

16 Dec 2010