Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD CHRISTMAS    

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD CHRISTMAS

GIOVANNI
Canada

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD CHRISTMAS

I remember waiting for fresh snow to fall

I remember just sitting around the tree and watching the lights

I remember the feast my mom would prepare for Christmas

I remember the smell of  chestnuts roasting

I remember waking up in the middle of the night and shaking boxes to see what was in them

21 Dec 2010      

Flora1
Brazil

I remember that when I woke up, after the chistimas night, the first thing that I did  was look for  gifts inside my bed .
I remember that sometimes the present was not exaclty what I wanted.

21 Dec 2010     

SueThom
United States

I remember having to wait upstairs until my dad had the movie camera and lights set up.  Then all of us kids could go down the stairs--in order, youngest first--and turn the corner into the living room where my dad could capture on film our expressions as we first saw all the gifts Santa had left during the night.

I remember that every gift was perfect--exactly what I wanted, even if I hadn �t realized before that I wanted it.  (My mother had a gift for giving--she always selected just the right gift[s] for each person.)

21 Dec 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

The thing I most liked about Christmas was the amount of chocolates we had so I remember going to bed eating chocolates and getting up in the morning to open the presents and stay in pijamas all day!:-)

21 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I remember waiting for Santa to visit us.
I remember playing with my cousins.
I remember traveling to Montreal to visit my maternal grandparents.
I remember wanting an Easy bake oven... and never getting one.
I remember writing to Santa and hearing him read my letter (and my brother �s) on television. (What a thrill this was)
I remember having permission to stay up as late as I wanted. I remember falling asleep on a bed full of coats.
I remember going to midnight mass.
I remember the family singing around the piano
I remember the chocolate balls in the trees of my paternal grandmother. (I kept that tradition with my nephew)

21 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I remember going to the forest to cut the Christmas tree. We would sledge down the hill with the Christmas tree on the sledge ,in the snow of course! Much fun!
I remember walking ,both my parents holding my hands,in the cold starry night , in the snow, to Midnight Mass .
I remember , at the age of seven, looking through the window before leaving for Christmas mass and seeing my parents putting my  present ( a beautiful shiny blonde haired doll)at the foot of the tree.That �s when I stopped believing in Father Christmas! I already suspected the brave old man did not exjst but I did not say a word .... I did not want to disappoint my parents.
I remember the  candles and the fireworks that we lit on the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. I wished the lights and sparks would last forever!
I wish I had not grown up !Smile

21 Dec 2010     

lizamuni
Argentina

I remember the big Chirstmas lunch at my granny�s house.
I remember all my uncles and aunties and cousins ... and my granny going up and down, playing, setting the long table, cooking, sharing smiles and jokes ...
I remember going to bed waiting for Father Chirstmas and waking up next morning to open the presents....
I remember the happines of having a big and caring family.
And I remember the smell of the huge glycine plant covering the place where we played on sunny Christmas mornings.

21 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

When I was a child we celebrated Three Kings Day on January 6. I remember trying to stay up all night to see Baltazar, Melchor and Gaspar bring the presents. I never made it past 10:00 PM on the eve of Three Kings Day. Inevitably, in the morning,  the water and grass we had put out for the camels in an old shoebox were gone and in their place were the gifts left by the Three Magi.

21 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I remember:

Hot days - always 38 degrees celcius or higher (the hottest being 44 degrees) - and no-one had airconditioning way back then when I was a young whippersnapper

Bushfires somewhere - including one that extended into our own backyard - we had a personal visit by the local fire brigade accessing the fire from our backyard (our driveway went right to the back of our one acre property unlike our neighbours)

Pressies were minimal back then - credit barely existed and my folks were struggling post-war immigrants with no family to help and guide them BUT we always had a fresh tree bought from the local Scout stall and decorated with our own handmade decorations 

Barbecue and salad for Christmas lunch, followed by delicious pavlova heaped high with fruit salad and cream

Playing under the sprinklers after lunch (water restrictions didn�t exist back then) with the neighbourhood kids

Thirty five years later everything is still the same except the sprinklers and the aircon - we usually go where there is a swimming pool AND airconditioning.  And oh, we all spend way too much on pressies now, and most of it on credit [Actually, I don�t know how we survived without those three things].

Cheers

Jayho

21 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

I remember decoraring the new year tree and being unable to decide which decorations to put on it and which to leave in their boxes untill the next Christmas. (The tree remained on its place fully decorated untill March, becouse everybody was too lazy to put it aside and to pack all the decorations Sleepy, and perhaps it happened just becouse you never want to let this wonderful Holyday go. My friends and I used to have �bets" in whose house the New Year Tree will stay longer).

I remember building snowmen with carrots as their noses.

I remember watching the same movies year after year (in USSR they used to broadcast the same movies each year).

I remember preparing special New Year dishes and preparing presents for friends and family.

Oh, you can �t imagine how I miss all this, as for last 20 years I �ve been living in a country (Israel) where Christmas isn �t celebrated and there is no snow in winter.

Anyway, we are preparing a New Year Party for the group of young rhythmic gymnasts from our local Club. So, a couple of days ago my 9-year old daughter asked me if Santa would come Big smile, and I replied that he never comes to countries with hot climate, like our, so we would have to ask one of dads to dress up... She was very dissapointed. 

21 Dec 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Christmas in my childhood meant smells!

Mom �s cooking sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) - the smell filled the house and I did not like it at that time. I love it now! It is a symbol of winter and festivity.

The smell of gingerbread cookies!

The smell of bacon pies (small single-bite pies filled with chopped bacon and onion)!

The smell of fried meatballs (which were flattened minced meat "pancakes") - delicious!

The smell of burning Christmas tree needles! (I and my brother held a candle under a branch of the Christmas tree until it started to burn but somehow it never ended in a fire...)

21 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >