Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day- Tuesday, December 21, 2010    

Word of the Day- Tuesday, December 21, 2010

edrodmedina
United States

Thank you Douglas for bestowing this great honor upon me. I shall attempt to do this wonderful tradition justice. Today �sWOD is GALIMAUFREY. Remember folks and folkettes: No dictionary meanings and no googled answers. Free you imagination and let it run rampant helter skelter and hither and yonder. No hither and yonder are not the two of Santa �s reindeer. Well enough said...Let the games begin!!!!

21 Dec 2010      

magneto
Greece

...And after this brief introduction:

gal: girl
I �m
aufrey:
weird pronunciation of "afraid" (the way someone would pronounce the word if they were really afraid to say the rest of the phrase out loud)

Conclusion: Not sure if this is true of other countries, too, but in Greece certain fathers desperately want sons (instead of daughters) to continue the family name, so...
GALIMAUFREY
(/ɡ�laɪmʌˈfreɪ/): What the doctor mumbles to the father after the first ultrasound that reveals the sex of the baby: Gal, I �m aufrey...

P.S.: Ed, this is from your friends in Antarctica: ......................
Wink

21 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Well,

galimatia (Rus.)-galimatias (Fr.) means Double Dutch.
fr stands for French.
y is a suffix that makes a noun .

Therefore, "galimaufrey" - is a person whose native tonque is French and when he tries to speak English you can �t understand him at all.

Usage in context: "I couldn �t understand a word in his presentation. He �s a total galimaufrey, isn �t he?"

21 Dec 2010     

andreaewa
Uruguay

-"Gal, I �m a UF Rey!" meaning, you can�t let me go, I �m too good to be true :)
This is the way Senior sts from the University of Florida introduce themselves.
As they are in their last year, they are the kings, "REY", so, when you have a winner �s attitude with girls, you are a galimaufrey.

21 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Galimaufrey

Gali short form of the French word:gallinac�e which means any domesticated bird like a hen , a cockerel, a chicken etc...

aufrey : French mispelt, there again!!Unhappy for au frais (in a cool place)

M First letter of the French word: Mettre (put)

So galimaufrey is the quick way to say:Mets la gallinac�e au frais "put the chicken in the fridge"

21 Dec 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Well I reckon it�s a new super duper multivitamin for ESL/EFL teachers... but it�s still highly experimental!

Ga- the element gallium, an element often used for its energy storing capability. This would allow the new �super duper multivitamin� to restore energy to all the weary teachers out there!

Li - for lithium, a key chemical component in medication for the treatment of manic depression - hyperactivity, rushed speech, poor judgment and aggression (need I explain this one????)

M(g) - for magnesium. The (g) was dropped off for marketing purposes as it would then be nigh on impossible to teach the �correct� pronunciation to any prospective TESL/TEFL candidates... oh, & magnesium also helps maintain normal nerve & muscle function, keeps the heart rhythm steady & promotes normal blood pressure, keeps bones strong & supports a healthy immune system. It is of interest in treatment/prevention/management of hypertension, cardiovascular disease & diabetes! So it �s an essential ingredient to keep ALL TESL/TEFL teachers in tip top condition so we can all be at work, no matter what the students & employers throw at us!

Au - for gold, which all of us teachers are (or should be) at least as valuable as. This will �top up� our inherent value even more, especially in light of current global fiscal issues...

Fr - for francium, an element used only in highly experimental circumstance. It�s extremely rare (like the perfect teacher... & employer.... & student). So not only does it increase our own �rarity � as valuable teachers, but it also has that �X� factor that can be advertised in the same sort of vein as many herbal remedies of dubious value...

& lastly, as mentioned by chud... ey has been added to make it a noun & to make the �brand name� roll off the tongue more easily (please refer to pronunciation notes for M(g)).

So there we have it... the new, super duper TESL/TEFL multivitamin that is guaranteed to make us all 1000% better teachers.

COMING SOON TO A SPAM EMAIL NEAR YOU...

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SATISFY THOSE STUDENTS, FACULTY & EMPLOYERS...
ORDER GALIMAUFREY ONLINE TODAY FOR A 25% CHRISTMAS DISCOUNT... DON�T DELAY!!!!

21 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Well, I put GALIMAUFREY into my anagram thingo and it showed 2764 results. 

Incredible! 

I didn�t look at them all because I stopped at this one that made me chuckle.  It�s about an emu.  An emu is a big Australian native flightless (that can run the pants off a kangaroo see here and here) like an ostrich.   Actually, it�s the second largest bird in the world.  Unlike most other birds Dad sits on the eggs and raises the chicks. Some of the feathered kind might look upon this strangely even perhaps to go as so far to say that the male emu is a GALIMAUFREY, aka a Frail Gay Emu  LOL

P.S.  Hiya AB - welcome back

21 Dec 2010