Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Interview Questions    

Interview Questions

Rosa_Rose
Egypt

Interview Questions

Hi ALL..

So soon I �m gonna have an interview to be a head of the english department in my school..

Would you share me some ideas/questions of your own experiences in such a kind of interviews ,plz?

I think it would be fun if you talk about the funniest /shocking /unexpected ...questions you have been asked. All will help.

Merry Christmas ..& Have a so nice weekend ;) Smile

23 Dec 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

I �ve only been interviewed for a job maybe 3 times in my life and it �s been a loooooog time since then so I can �t be much help athough if you keep your answers student centered you can �t go wrong. I wish you the best. Ed

23 Dec 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Some possible questions:

How do you cope with stress or meeting deadlines?

Do you have private transportation(car)?

What personality traits describe you best?

Which are your worst personaliy traits? Ad the best?

How do you see yourself in a 10 �years time?

Tell me things that show that in your life you have good social skills.

How many foreign languages can you speak well?

Do you have good computer skills?

How do you face poor students � behaviour? Waht measures would you take to improve this situation?

How do you think you can help our school develop our quality standards?
Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

23 Dec 2010     

serene
Greece

Hi Rosa Rose,

Check out the following link. You might find some interesting questions there.

http://www.esldrive.com/findajob/jobinterviewqa.html

Good luck with your interview!

23 Dec 2010     

napster
Costa Rica

I don �t envy you because I am going to be the grinch of this christmas . merry christmas

23 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Not sure about your area but where I am currently it is still a new thing.  I find it kind of disturbing because it isn �t always what you know but who you know.

I guess you already know the school since you work there.

Some suggestions find out what else will be added to your job.

Now funny and weird story or at least to me it is funny story.

I was asked to come in to interview for a liason/English department administrator between the country I am in and an American university.  I initially asked what the job would consist of doing.  In that questioning and the translator quickly figured they did not know what they were actually looking at or for.  Now the basic discription was going to look after the English teachers here, check on the students being sent to either country, and teach basic technical English.   I would be answering to the school principle and advisors.  I asked about pay and benefit package.  The pay is just below the average pay for regular teachers and no benefit package.  I would also have to travel back and forth and know both countries laws.  Well gave them the list of what is expected on a liason job and what package is required and we left the meeting.  They hired a drama graduate to do the job and they sent him for training in America.  He got there and sent an email he is not coming back.  They have taken me out to dinner twice since the beginning of the month but still only offer below what an average teacher is paid and no benefits.  The funny line is "The benefits, retirement and rent assistance is in the paycheck."  Which as already stated is a little lower than the average pay.

24 Dec 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

In the past I have had a few interviews but now I sit on interview pannels.  I remember being told as a young teacher that interview pannels subconciously make up their mind within thirty seconds of a person entering the room.  The rest of the time you have to convince them that they were right or wrong with their initial decisions.  First impressions are very important but what I think is even more important is to show that you know something about the school that you have applied to and are commited to it.  Do your homework.  Most questions that you will be asked are not trick questions but ones to see what your views are and how you will cope in stressful circumstances and if you are a team player and an efficient leader.
Try to blow your own trumpet but not in a conceited way.  Do not say that you have no faults.  People like honesty - but when you are being honest about your faults show that you already have taken steps to improve.
My pet hate when interviewing is when someone tries to manipulate the pannel with parting shots like, "I do hope that you don �t lose out by not choosing me!" or "I look forward to hearing a positive result from you soon!".  Comments such as those undoes even the very best interview.
Try to have some question up your sleeve - but not one about money!  It could be something to do with their curriculum to show that you want to do some homework before you take up the job - or continual on the job development.
I interviewed a girl this year whom I had also interviewed last year.  I asked her what she would do if she didn �t get the job again this year.  She replied that she would re-apply again next year because she really wanted to work with us.  She got the job.
Best wishes in your interview.

24 Dec 2010