Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Subject Verb Agreement Question    

Subject Verb Agreement Question

lshorton99
China

I would say �either he or I are to go � - I don �t know why as it doesn �t correspond to either of the suggested rules about subject agreement. I think it might be because �he � combined with �I � makes �we �. Or it might be due to a conjunctive subjunctive or the fact that there is some doubt about who is going. To be honest, I don �t really know why it is �are �, just that it �s the most natural answer - I don �t think it �ll help you teach your students though!

Lindsey

4 Jan 2011     

Musichok
Russian Federation

Hello,

I can see that quite a number of people were of some help. I found a site which can also clarify the situation) You may chech there as well.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/grammarlogs2/grammarlogs349.htm

4 Jan 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Lindsey, although it sounds more natural and maybe is the current usage, the rule states that in either... or... / neither... nor... clauses, the verb matches with the nearest subject because the first verb is omitted and implied in the sentence (the second takes the place of the first):

Either the kids or Rodrigo is...
Either Rodrigo or the kids are...
Either Rodrigo or I am...

The first verb is omitted (that �s why we use this kind of construction: to avoid repetition)

Either the kids (are - omitted) or Rodrigo is...
Either Rodrigo (is - omitted) or the kids are...
Either Rodrigo (is - omitted) or I am...

As I previously said, I understand the problem because some constructions I have to teach in Portuguese as a teacher, I don �t use because they sound strange to me as for the listener.

4 Jan 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hi Zailda

Like I said - my answer doesn �t correspond to the rules, just going to show what fun English is! Either of the other alternatives just sounds strange to me!

Lindsey

5 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2