Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Check vs. curb vs. inhibit vs. restrain    

Check vs. curb vs. inhibit vs. restrain

magneto
Greece

Check vs. curb vs. inhibit vs. restrain

Hello everyone!

I need some help with a tricky subject. I �ve been preparing for my lessons and found this sentence in my book:

He managed to...... the flow of blood by tightly bandaging the wound.

a. restrain, b. curb, c. check, d. inhibit

According to the Teacher �s Book the correct answer is c. check. I �ve looked all verbs up in the OALD and here �s what I �ve found:

inhibit: to prevent something from happening or make it happen more slowly or less frequently than normal
curb: to control or limit something, especially something bad
restrain: to stop something that is growing or increasing from becoming too large
check: to control something; to stop something from increasing or getting worse

Now, I know how to explain why the answer can �t be inhibit, but I really can �t think of an explanation why the flow of blood collocates with check and not with restrain or curb. Could anyone clarify this for me? Or, if you can �t clarify it with an explanation, could you please give me some collocations which clearly demonstrate the difference in use between these verbs? I �m sure my students will ask...

Thank you in advance for your helpSmile

7 Jan 2011      

MarionG
Netherlands

I am interested in answers as well. I would have chosen �curb � in this sentence i think...
Curious as well to hear explanations.... 

7 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

It �s common usage. We just never use those other words with blood.
Check the flow of blood.
Restrain yourself from eating too much chocolate.
An education program was started to help curb domestic violence.

7 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

My first answer would have been "curb".

I think:

to inhibit it would mean to stop it completely--we want it to keep flowing within the body.

to restrain it would mean to hold it back for a while, but it would eventually be released again.

to check it sounds funny to me, but it could work--we are keeping it in check (where we want it to stay)

Just my personal take on them,
Douglas

7 Jan 2011     

libertybelle
United States

You curb an appetite but stop or check the flow is often used about liquids:

Merriam-Webster, Inc, Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster - 1984 - Reference - 944 pages
To hinder is to check or hold back someone or something in action or about to ... is to obstruct with obstacles that prevent a continued flow (as of water, ...

7 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you all for your replies!...And a very special "Thank you" to Libertybelle for the links!

You �re the best colleagues in the world!
Hug

7 Jan 2011