Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Words that have more than one meaning    

Words that have more than one meaning

douglas
United States

As near as I can tell you are looking for homonyms (not homophones)--words that are spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings.

The Internet is full of homonyms lists--try "googling " it perhaps

11 Jan 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thanks everyone. You know what it �s like when you have been concentrating on one specific thing and then your mind goes completely blank when you need it most....

I am now firing on all cylinders! I thought first of homonyms too but when I first was searching it was coming up with words that are spelled the same but mostly pronounced differently.

Now I can try and complete this presentation!!!!

11 Jan 2011     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/homograph-examples/

11 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

the most common / the easiest homographs for pre-intermediates - intermediate ss:

bright, light, hard, rose, bat, bear, can, lead, fine, refuse, lift, row, tear, wind, close, wave, bow, fly, spring, like, ball, plain, break, match, fan, rock, roll, train, book, play, case, star, tip, kid, park, well, bar, leaves, jam, mark, date, chest, clip, sink, duck, kid, trip, foot, right, punch, present, ruler, block, saw, seal, fast,  close, bill, change, desert, head, mobile, beat, litter, bark, mean, light, shot, great, bank, sheet, stick, nail, polish/Polish, lie(s), top, WILL, RING, BED, CHECK.

There are many verb+noun homographs such as permit
(a permit = the piece of paper allowing/permitting you to go there) / to permit you to go there).
These verb=nouns I find too easy to include in the list...

btw you can ask your students to GROUP the homographs - eg.
find all animals, verbs, nouns, adjectives, food/drinks, words related to garden,
education (ruler, mark, date, clip, break, ball, match, train, play, trip, rose, saw, close, like, present, right)

I recommend this list of rhymes and funny sentences:
http://jonv.flystrip.com/heteronym/heteronym.htm
and the quia game recommended above...

12 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2