Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP..Please    

HELP..Please

Baadache
Canada

HELP..Please

Helloo,

Next week I �ll start teaching adults in a Community Service Centre , once a week. But what really astonished me is that they do not provide me with any program to follow during the next months except I �ll choose my lessons alone, .. depending on ???????????????????

Is it normal what is going on ? Wacko If so can any one help me with a suggestion, a link or sth that can help......... or a program that can be useful in such centres. I really don �t know how to begin..

Thank you all.

16 Jan 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Is there any way you can get in touch one someone who has taught at that centre?

I �ve noticed you changed your flag. Have you moved to Canada already?

16 Jan 2011     

Flora1
Brazil

If Iwere you I�d try to contact another teacher from this centre, If it is not possible look for a good English book, I suggest NEW ENGLISH FILE, and go ahead teaching.

16 Jan 2011     

leli83
Argentina

I agree with Flora 1...If you cannot contact someone who has previously worked there, following the program of an English teaching book is always a good idea... just make sure you choose a book with the appropriate level for your students and one that provides activities in all skills...If you choose the New English File, and you aim to develop mainly oral communication you may want to add some extra oral work.
Hope my point of view in this matter helps!
Regards

17 Jan 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Beginning students may enjoy the activities at Livemocha http://www.livemocha.com/ . Side by Side and Workplace plus are good textbooks. Establish a routine that the students can get used to.

Example:

Have students write in their learning journal or do a worksheet when they arrive, while they are waiting for the late comers to arrive. This save you having to  keep repeating the instructions for the late students, who would otherwise interrupt the class.

When everyone has arrived, ask them if they have any questions that you can answer for them. Spend a few minutes answering their questions.

Ask them what new word(s) they learned  from their environment yesterday and write all the new words on the board. Have the students begin keeping a list of words they encounter in their environemnt.

On the first day there is no homework to correct, but on each subsequent day, go over the homework with the students and give them the oportunity to mark their work with  your corrections themselves.

Drill with picture flash cards (5-10). Some books come with flashcards, but if you don �t have any with your book, have the students make them for you or download some from here.

Open the textbook and go through the lesson with the students. For the reading: Model the reading yourself, or choose a student to read to the class. Then let the students read in pairs. Then have the students perform the reading for the class like a performance. Or  have the students write a variation of the text (or dialog) using the words they learned. They then preform their dialog or  speeches for the class.

For homework, assign exercises from the text or workbook. If you don �t have a workbook, ask them to write ten sentences (using the vocabulary or grammar point they learned) or assign a worksheet from here that relates to the lesson topic.

Use authentic materials to supplement the book: newspaper advertisements for apartments, hardware sales advertisements, bus and train schedules, hotel regiatration forms, job application forms, banking forms, medical history forms, checks, food labels, medicine labels, utility bills, and have the students bring in any forms they need help with.

On the first day, you should evaluate the students to see where their strengths and weakneses are. Does the center use a standard testing service? Some centers� funding is tied to these tests. Be sure to keep a file of corrected assignments for each student so that you can demonstrate learning progress to the funders.

Let the students role play situations from daily experience for example, giving a medical history to a doctor, renting an apartment, exchanging a defective purchase at the store.

I know you will enjoy your job and be an excellent teacher, and the printable and PPT resources here will come in handy.

17 Jan 2011     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I also work with adults in a community education setting and we also don �t have a syllabus to follow because the syllabus comes from the students. At the beginning of term we talk to the students to find out what their needs are and what topics they feel are important for them to learn. From this we design the course for that term. Karen

17 Jan 2011