Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is really going on here?    

What is really going on here?

fletsch
Canada

What is really going on here?

Dear members:

I have been on the site the past few days and I am really disappointed in what is happening here.  A year ago when I joined eslprintables this site was full of encouragement and happiness.  Now, members seem to be directly attacking others in the public forum.  Let�s all think back to the reason we joined this site - to exchange ideas, worksheets, and teaching techniques and maybe to bring attention to a problem that we have encountered.  I think that things have gotten way too personal and too critical.  Let�s all just take a step back and think about, "What is really going on here?"

Fletsch

9 Dec 2008      

angryparrot
United Kingdom

Fletsch,

I couldn�t agree more. I have been using this site for a few months now but this is the first time I have felt obliged to say something. There is no real comparable community of esl teachers on the internet and for many of us this is too valuable a resource to demean it by petty personal attacks. I for one hate sloppy grammar and what I perceive to be pointless uploads, but one purpose of this site is peer-to-peer evaluation and helping like-minded professionals to improve their techniques. Positive criticism is a good thing. However, there is something to be said for tact while doing this though and using the forum for such personal attacks is unecessary. Strong feelings should be directed to the website manager via the complaint form because I do recall that non-teaching related printables are not supposed to be accepted. A big thank you to everybody who has downloaded my lesson plans and a similarly large shout-out to the excellent creators of worksheets that I have gained inspiration from. Teaching is sometimes a difficult and unrewarding profession so it�s a real joy to be able to interact through this site. Everybody should remember that we are really all in the same boat.

Zhu NiMen Ping An!

9 Dec 2008     

johnbrasil
Brazil

Well said Fletsch,
It wasn�t like this when I first joined the site, now there seems to be a hardcore group of a few users that just want to try and bully or intimidate people, or flamers, etc. They don�t really seem to need any reason to start on another user. I�ve seen many people complaining about the level of rudeness and sniping in the forums, very sad :-(  I asked other teachers I work with to join here as some of them make really nice worksheets but they took a look at the site and after seeing the comments on the homepage from the forums wouldn�t sign up :-(  And I work with a lot of teachers so this is a real shame and they work with every level of English student from small children to Business English and at the city university. This can only be a loss for the site and everyone who originally joined it when Victor has the original idea when people are scared to join the site :-(

9 Dec 2008     

victor
Spain

Johnbrasil,
You are accusing some users of bulling, intimidation, etc.
You are saying, as I understand, that there is a "hardcore group" of users always looking for victims to criticise.
Those are serious accusations. Who is being rude here? you.
I will speak clear: Frenchfrog has helped users much more than criticising them.
We have to face criticism as a way to improve. Everyday users criticise this website, and I don�t accuse them of being rude. I just take notes and try to improve.

9 Dec 2008