Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Johnbrasil    

To Johnbrasil

frenchfrog
France

To Johnbrasil

I never said that I did not want borders / frames in our worksheets (I do use borders in my own worksheets). I said I did not want JUST a border or frame. A border / frame should come at the very end. What we (I use �we� because many members seemed to share this view) want first is TEACHING materials. There are so many sites where we can get frames / borders for free and some members regularly provide us with excellent links.

Let�s do a little experiment:

Today I am going to do this: I am going to show a border / frame to my students and see if they can comment on it for a whole hour!!!! Wish me luck!! Confused (They are going to kill me!!!!)

Frenchfrog

9 Dec 2008      

domnitza
Romania

Good morning all,

I guess it was a busy night, because when I logged in the forum in the morning I noticed that there had been a whole debate. And I am sure that the initial subject was forgotten and the conversation took another direction. As usual, there are a lot of opinions, which is good, I think, because people should have a mind of their own and not let others decide for them. What I did not like AT ALL was the following statement (it is Johnbrasil�s):
< I asked other teachers I work with to join here as some of them make really nice worksheets but they took a look at the site and after seeing the comments on the homepage from the forums wouldn�t sign up :-(  And I work with a lot of teachers so this is a real shame and they work with every level of English student from small children to Business English and at the city university. This can only be a loss for the site and everyone who originally joined it when Victor has the original idea when people are scared to join the site.>

If other people decide not to join this site because they are ....scared of some discussions, that�s their loss, they shouldn�t judge things on such a superficial level. But ... a shame? I do not like this word. And I don�t like it either when people play with words, some of them are strong and full of meanings. I can see that the number of members is increasing every day, good for all those who have the courage to come to this witchy site ( have I just invented a word? Big smile).

There are some people here who started making some accusations. There is a saying in Romanian: "When a fool throws a stone in the like, ten wise men jump to get it out."
Others have the nasty habit of correcting people�s spelling mistakes on the forum. DON�T DO IT IN THE PRIVATE MESSAGE EITHER.
And, Frenchfrog, I am waiting for the result of your experiment. You are a brave teacher if you do that.
Have a nice day!

9 Dec 2008     

Montypython
France

Select it very carefully then!!! Geek (just kidding!!!!)

I�m sure everybody secretely agrees with you frenchfrog (how could they not agree? We�re all teachers and all want to teach something, don�t we?)

Hope you all have great holidays and lots of rest (we�re all very tired...) and great celebrations! Tongue

And thanks to all the great teachers who make this site the wonderful place it is thanks to their hard work! Thumbs Up

Cheers.

9 Dec 2008     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

I agree with frenchfrog. Copying and pasting isn�t a work-sheet. Does anybody thing that�s really WORKING? We spend hours trying to create nice worksheets and copy and paste is considered STEALING as far as I know and stealing is not the aim of this website.  Am I wrong?

9 Dec 2008     

MariaElena
Spain

Of course, I agree with frenchfrog and itxasobcn. The important thing is sending and including materials which will help us. However, I remember someone asking here for some borders some time ago. I don�t know who. So, a suggestion, instead of loading them if someone needs some s/he could ask for a website with frames or border here, don�t you think?

9 Dec 2008     

lovinglondon
Spain

MariaElena, I did. I asked for some links in which I could download frames and borders to improve the visual presentation of my worksheets. I never meant to download the printables just with the frames (no content), that would be really silly from me!!! (wasting one printable, I mean).
As said above, those are not printables. It is the easiest thing to do. If they are given points for that....I�mgoing to  prepare thousand printables with just the frames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards

9 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

Completely agree with domnitza! This is the best resource in the net because all WSs are unique! now I am happy because I can find what I want and I can also share and receive thanks and points too! And actually I am involved in all these talks on the front page but being disguised from this beautiful site because of it  -  nooooooo! Shame on them - because they didn�t entered and didn�t receive the opportunity to belong to such a great community!!!

9 Dec 2008     

johnbrasil
Brazil

Maybe you guys should read the sentence at the top of the page - the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc. Who gave you guys the right to judge what a resource is and who can and cannot post here? I see many people in the forums that say exactly the same thing as this but there are people here that want to just carry it on and on, having fun insulting people and anything they do as if they are so perfect themselves.

Oh, and superficial has these words as it�s definitions -
insubstantial or insignificant, trivial. If you think that people don�t want to join a site because victimization and abuse of people in the forums is just this we as people obviously still have a long way to go.

shame - A condition of disgrace or dishonor. If people don�t think that it�s a disgrace that people don�t want to join the site because of the state of the forums then well..

Roberta and I won�t reply to any more postings here, there is simply no point when the forums are really only used by certain people to voice their views and not allow any one elses. For those people who emailed us with support thanks a lot :-D

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Ok guys

Honestly I just skimmed through the post but I think I catch the point of it. It is not the first time this kind of issue was raised.
To make it short, what do you think of asking Victor to reserve a corner (category) there just for these kind of resources (frames, cliparts, animations...)?
I agree with some of you these are resources. However, they can�t be considered as ESL worksheets. I think that is obvious.

Regards

9 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I had thanks too...
I did not judge you personally.
I have never forced anyone to think as I do.
ESL means ENGLISH as a Second Language. If there is no English with your frame, then that is quite simple: it is not an ESL resource full stop!

9 Dec 2008     

lovinglondon
Spain

I strongly agree with you Frech Frog. No points at all!!

9 Dec 2008