Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is anybody listening?? Part II    

Is anybody listening?? Part II

Zora
Canada

Is anybody listening?? Part II

Yesterday, I commented on some pretty nasty stuff that was going around on the main board. See here if interested, http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2553 and I see that very sadly things have started up but in a very different direction!

Are you, we, us... even aware of the way we are sounding to others here?  We are acting like school children - worse in fact! Hurling insults back and forth, ganging up on each other, causing each other to feel hurt or insulted, making people - consciously or unconsciously - take sides .... what all for? To stop somebody from gaining points that we think shouldn�t be awarded?

THAT is crazy and childish. I agree that perhaps borders and frames are not ESL material BUT the site description talks about resources and that unfortunately is a "resource". Perhaps it is not all that "useful" or perhaps the time we spend on it is not "enough"... but neither are flashcards, posters, or colouring pages... and ALL those are quite acceptable...

Now what people should perhaps do - is take a step backwards and ask yourselves - "Are we adults or are we children who are jealous of what others have or do?" People spend their 30 points - or point points - as they please. Who are we to say how it�s done... And furthermore... what if somebody uploaded a hand drawn border? Is that too, a waste of time, has time not been spent making it? Is it not as useful as a poster with an image and it�s name or a saying at the bottom?? 

We have got, really GOT TO stop this bickering. We are adults here, people with feelings and definitely not perfect. We can not dictate what is useful to people and what isn�t AND if we do do such a thing - guidelines need to be set... but as many of us tend not to be in the habit of READING the RULES... well, I am sure this ugly debate will continue on....

9 Dec 2008      

johnbrasil
Brazil

It�s no so much as a debate as to what constitutes a resource now. I read just in a posting that one person was objecting to a word in a forum posting simply because she didn�t like it? Wasn�t there a book where people tried to control the population by controlling words and forcing their own vocabulary on people and restricting how people used or didn�t use it? Oh, yeah, George Orwell�s 1984. What are they going to object to next? Accent of a person�s voice? Color of skin? Country of origin? There always seems to be someone trying to force someone else to do only what they want :-(  There are some select few here who want to hog the idea of getting all the points so much that they give the impression that the other poor teachers should be paying a percentage of their points simply to be part of the same site as they are. There are some people here in the forums who simply rank other peope and anything they do as a waste of time and space. I saw a posting by Spanglish Girl that said - we are all equals. Equal, somehow I don�t think so. I was trying to figure out why this same few people seemed to take so much pleasure targeting my wife for their abuse and then I took a look at our profile picture and wondered.......

9 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Please PLEASE don�t go THERE. We are all colours all nationalities. The topic was debating ESL worksheet content not to WHO contributes or anything personal. I think it has been a topic that has been brewing over some time. Please don�t take anything as written as a personal attack as the comments I have read were towards the actual worksheet.
You two are a gorgeous couple! I don�t think anyone here would think anything otherwise :-)

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi John,
I agree with cheezels! The comments were regarding the worksheet being basically a frame.  I have never seen any racist comments on this site and hope to never see them!

btw cheezels - I hope Santa has sunblock on, hehehe, that is a pair of swimming togs my dad would be proud of!

9 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

I do agree with cheezels, the topic was about the ESL content of some worksheets. johnbrasil, you don�t give names, but I can guess one hidden in your words, and I must take that person�s side, because I know that person has a kind and generous heart. I saw that person taking part in debates with other people, too, but STILL leaving a <thank you> note on their worksheets. And this simple thanks says a lot! (I wouldn�t have done the same, I�m afraid.... Embarrassed)
And NOBODY here forces ANYBODY to do one way or another. We are not, equals, indeed, that�s relative. (we could speak about this for hours). You say: "There are some select few here who want to hog the idea of getting all the points". Is this about points? (Check mine, there are printables downloaded by few members (Our father, for example), but it took me so much time to create the whole page.) People download what they need, then what they like. I am not after points, but I must confess that I am a fish for comments, because only they show me the value of my printables. Not the points.
Your message offended me, and all the other "poor members" who like and love this site. We are like a family here, I made friends from all over the world, and they know many things about me, about my baby. They see him grow with every new photo I upload. THAT has no points.
So, please, pay attention to your words. Nobody is "targeting" your wife or you. You are one of the thousands of members of this site. Just like all of us.

9 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you all!
Please let�s be wise and put an end to this never ending debate, which, as someone has already said, is taking the wrong direction. We are not judging people, we are judging, looking with a critical eye to people�s work, to worksheets. The question is very simple - Should we consider a simple frame, no words on it, no content, an ESL resource? I wrote my opinion on John and his wife�s worksheet - I don�t consider it a resource, I don�t think this is the appropriate site to upload it. I love frames, but they should have content too - we�re here to share material we can use with our students... Do I consider those worksheets just for colouring an English resource? On their own, NO. Some exercises should be added. Do I consider those worksheets just with a picture and a name on it a resource? No, I don�t, not one that should be uploaded in this site anyway. But I am NOT THE ONE to decide. Victor is. He posted a message on this issue yesterday and you can read it below.

To John and his wife, I owe you an apology. I�m sorry if in any way I hurt your feelings, that is really not my type and I hate thinking that I did it. But again, we�re talking here about the work people do and not about them personally. Anyway, I will be  more careful with words when giving my opinion.

This is the message Victor posted yesterday on the forum, replying to Frenchfrog�s message The val:ue of work:  
I agree with FrenchFrog.

If you find a website with nice frames you should give the link in the forum.
Moreover, if you upload a worksheet with a frame and nothing else, and the frame is taken from a clipart, it will considered stolen (there is nothing in the printable created by you), and your account could be removed if someone reports the original source.
In order to make things clear, I will include some directions in the "send a printable" page: which printables should be uploaded and which ones shouldn�t.

8 Dec 2008     

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Great to read some sanity starting to prevail!

Thanks for the link to �Part I� Zora - I haven�t had a chance to read all the heated and compassionate, as well as normal postings in the forum.

I won�t go into further detail except for 2 comments:

"Believe none of what you see and only half of what you hear" - Marvin Gaye

Remember it�s important to know what�s going on, but don�t get caught up in the gossip!

Keep your chins up people!
B-)

9 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I hope you do not all believe that I wrote my post just because of the points!!!!
To me (and I see some members do not share my point of view, well, C�est la vie!), it is �a place for everything and everything in its place.� Borders and frames are nice but ... on other sites!!
Why is it impossible to respect the essence of the site: sharing TEACHING materials? Sharing TEACHING materials is the first purpose of Victor�s site after all!!
We did not have all this a year ago...
My question was a simple question...
I don�t know where the feeling of competition comes from because to be honest, if you consider the top 10 (just the top 10, that is to say 1. Vanda, 2. Pika, 3. Frenchfrog, 4. Domnitza, 5. Zeberka, 6. Ericaplak, 7. mpotb, 8. jecika, 9. Karen1980, 10. Ichacantero), there has NEVER been any rivalry between us.
Last point, I have never forced anybody to think as I do.

F.

9 Dec 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear frenchfrog,
You just wrote about the real issue short and concisely.  I couldn�t have expressed it better.
I�m behind you 100%.

THIS SITE IS ABOUT ESL-MATTERS.

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, all

Just another very short comment.

I would have really liked to see such a passionate and hot debate on some other more interesting category "Grammar and Linguistics" for instance.

Unfortunately I think it would never end.

PS: If some one is really in need of points, I can give some, sorry, a lot of mine.

9 Dec 2008     

meuge
Argentina

Come on people... We are adults... Let us calm things down... We are here just to share material with fellow teachers, make good friends, know excellent people, we are even here to share our lives ( as Domnitza put it...I have seen her child grow in her pictures)...
It�s been more than a year that I belong to this lovely site and I never followed such strong and hurting discussions as the ones arised lately... And let me tell you that I myself had been in some strong ones when we used to have the old private messenger and forum...
I felt quite sad... we should behave with care and use kind words...
If someone doesn�t like a contribution, be it a worksheet, a ppt, frames, clipart or a song... well.. don�t download it! Or just  report it and leave a kind comment on the contributors page... As simple as that...

I know that no one wants to hurts anyone.. but it happens...

Now people, WARM FUZZIES TO THE TOP 96489 CONTRIBUTORS OF THIS ADDICTING SITE!!!!!! Wink
And let us go on doing  what we are really for....TEACHING!!!

9 Dec 2008