Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HOW MUCH & MANY    

HOW MUCH & MANY

diva2402
Panama

HOW MUCH & MANY

I WAS EXPLAINING TO MY STUDENTS (ELEMENTARY LEVEL) THE USE OF HOW MUCH & MANY....AND ONE OF THEM ASKED ME..."TEACHER, IF WE USE HOW MUCH FOR UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS, WHY DO WE SAY HOW MUCH MONEY....WE CAN COUNT MONEY".....PLEASE TELL ME WHAT�S THE BEST RESPONSE 4 THIS...HEEELP

8 Feb 2011      

NanG
Argentina

That you can count coins and bank notes but you cannot count money because you cannot say " one money"... At least, that �s what I tell them.

Hope this helps.

8 Feb 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Tell them that we can count dollars, pounds, rupees etc, but money is uncountable.

The same way we can count cars, taxis, buses - but traffic is an uncountable noun.

We don �t say �there are 24 traffics ... likewise, we don �t say I �ve got 100 monies. Traffic and money are uncountable nouns.

How many dollars does it cost?  How much money does it cost?

8 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi,

So happy to see the questions our students have are, more or less the same , all around.

We don �t count money - we can �t say some thing costs 3 moneys.

We count currency - we count Euro, Dollar, .....

So, we ask how much  ( money ) is it?
The answer is countable - It �s 3 Dollars/ euro , etc....

When you ask, you ask about value, so you say HOW MUCH.

You answer and you answer with a countable number / currency.

My tupence

@ ( Hi Apodo, is it right now, my Portuguese five cents ?  - LOL )

@ Diva, Hope this was helpfull

Kisses
Linda

8 Feb 2011     

Mariethe House
France

What a great explanation Linda!Clap I used to get that question invariably, every year and found it difficult to make it clear for my pupils! I wish I was still teaching!LOL

8 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Mariethe...once a teacher.....

8 Feb 2011     

anuska8
Spain

I always say them that this word is uncountable because the own word can �t be quantified. You can �t say: "muchos dinero".

Kisses!

8 Feb 2011     

diva2402
Panama

THX U ALL....U ARE GREAT...

8 Feb 2011     

Bare
Croatia

I discuss the same thing with my students, too. But we also touch the problem of TIME

1.  How much time do we have ?  

( Time vs hours )   but: How many hours do you have?

2. How many times have I told you...  ( a period of time...occasion...moment )

Do you have more examples?!?

Hug

Goga

8 Feb 2011     

epit
Turkey

My kids ask the same question.t is too difficult to explain but I found  an easy way .I �m taking my purse and I begin to count every kurush (pence )and liras (pounds) and  I say"I have 7 or 8 money � They say that is meaningless .After then I �m explaining ıf we calculate the value of money that is meaningful.So they can understand money is uncountable .It is my way of course . �m not sure ıt is completely right or wrong but it works .Hugs

8 Feb 2011