Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why is "I" capitalized?     

Why is "I" capitalized?

kelechikwu
United States

Why is "I" capitalized?

Hello teachers,

Have you ever wondered why we have to capitalize "I" and it�s such a big mistake if we don�t? Well, I didn�t know so I researched and here is what I have found:
      "Ego has nothing to do with the capitalization of the pronoun I. Printing and handwriting have everything to do with it. In Middle English the first person was ich--with a lower-case i. When this was shortened to i, manuscript writers and printers found it often got lost or attached to a neighboring word. So the reason for the capital I is simply to avoid confusion and error."

Interesting, don�t you think?

10 Dec 2008      

wolfy
Chile

you should have asked the question and left us guessing. lol.

10 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

In many European languages, pronouns are still  written with capital letters.
this included I, You, They, We, He etc.

10 Dec 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Wow, what a polite reason for such a strange way of writing ME, MYSELF, ( heheh)
I have always told my students that English people were very proud of themselves, so the reason why  " I " was written with a capital letter.
But, on the other hand, I have always explained that British are so, but so polite that they never, ever say:

I and my friend,
but always,
" My friend and I ", because they have good manners and are very polite.

Just imagine what we, foreigners teachers, invent to try that students don�t get lost in the mess of different languages.
Curious, anyway, thanks for your research

10 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Wow, yes, very interesting... I also like the idea about asking and guessing... so, I�ll have my students guess Wink I think they�ll like the explanation :) Thanks for sharing this info with us Thumbs Up

10 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

This is a terrible admission,  I told my students it was just like a proper noun and therefore required a capital letter.  Embarrassed

10 Dec 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi. ICHAZINHA

so long

where have you been all this time,
I miiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss yyyyyyoooooooooouuuuuuuu.

Hugs
Olinda

10 Dec 2008