Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > your ideas for a good dictation test    

your ideas for a good dictation test

tenbest
Jordan

your ideas for a good dictation test

HI teachers:)

how are you ??

I need your ideas of how I can give my ss their dictation with new ideas :)

the AGE OF MY SS IS 10 YEARS OLD in 5th grade 

I wait your great ideas Wink

thanks in advance 

12 Feb 2011      

Aline37
Turkey

tenbest,

Here is one idea:
You can write your dictation on a piece of A4 paper and stick it on the wall so that students can �t read it from where they are sitting. Then get your students to work in pairs: student 1 goes to the paper with the dictation and reports it to student 2 who should listen and write the dictation down.

This is team work, reading, listening, writing and spelling all in one activity!

Hope this helps,

Aline

12 Feb 2011     

class centre
Belarus

I used to do something of the kind.
But I used the text they had already learnt. So, one of the pair goes to see the text. Reads one sentence out of it. Tries to remember the spelling and then goes back to his mate and dictates it to himher. The first pair to complete the task is the winner. But then I check it and say that there are say 2 or 3 mistakes. So if they find the mistakes on their own, they still are the winners. If not - I give them the text to compare. And the victory passes to another pair.  So, the sts just loved it. And the use of such method is incredible. They do their best to concentrate on spelling which is  very useful. Besides, they move around the class which they enjoy a lot!
Good luck!

12 Feb 2011     

tenbest
Jordan

THANKS A LOT REALLY YOU HAVE A NICE IDEA , BUT DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK WITH WORDS DICTATION LIKE THIS

Bowling,ice skating,

hang gliding ,Scuba diving, martial arts, gymnastics

WITH A LOT OF SS ABOUT 30 SS 

AND I NEED STH TAKE A FEW TIME 

12 Feb 2011     

class centre
Belarus

why not? just give them the rules first and decide beforehand who goes where, say that it has to be in a very low voice etc. It will work!

12 Feb 2011     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Another idea: the teacher dictates some sentences and the children write down only those that are true for them.

12 Feb 2011     

Viktoriya88
Ukraine

What about picture dictation??? The teacher shows picture and the students write down the object or activity depicted on it. It �s very easy and it doesn �t take a lot of time, it is rather entertainment and keeps students � attention.

12 Feb 2011     

marta v
Serbia

Here �s one more. Print the text as mirror image (change the properties and settings on the printer to get it right) and give it to them to write it the way it should be. Just don �t let them put the sheet up and turn it, because they �ll see everything written in order. It �s difficult for them in the beginning, but after the first sentence they �ll get used to it and it �ll go faster. If they want to get it right, they need to be really careful about every letter.

This is how I practice dictation with them.

Marta

12 Feb 2011     

valfairyrose
Uruguay

I used to do it with my 6 years old students. They were used to do it once a week, for example, on thursdays they pasted a short story in their notebooks and they had the entire week to read and study the story. Sometimes at first I used to underline the important words, but then i stopped and they had to focus in the entire text. Of course there were short sentences, and a short story. There were familiar with the story, because it was related with the unit in progress. Next thursdays I read only the important words, in order, and they had to write. Then, when they finished they pasted a new story.
And was really good, They were in first grade, 6 years old. It was a challenge because i thought it was too much, but they could, It was a wonderful surprise!
Try Tenbest and then tell us.
Hugs
Val

12 Feb 2011