Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > rewiew verb tenses    

rewiew verb tenses

martinhag
Brazil

rewiew verb tenses

Hello everyone,

I have a real challenge this week: I have to review verb tenses ( simple present / present continuous - simple past / past continuous - will / going to). The groups are big, sometimes more than 30, they don �t have any books and I have around 90 minutes to do that!! Do you guys have any suggestion and nice ideas?
I �m kind of desperate because I know this is not really interesting for them and I must try to make this appealing. HELP!!!!

Thank you so much and have a great Sunday.
Martinha

12 Feb 2011      

puddyd
Oman

Dear Martinha, 
I did a fun review lesson about two weeks ago . I used a basic snakes and ladders board with 61 squares and about 60 questions. I got it all out of a Cutting edge starter teachers resource pack , which I can send a copy of to you if you PM me your email, and anyone else who wants it.

This is how I modified it / simplified it and the Ss loved it and it kept them going for the whole lesson.

Now in the pack the board is on pg 150 and the first set of q �s are on pgs 151 and 152, but they only go up to 30 , you have to go to pg 158 and 159 for the second lot of q �s and print them off and then adjust the numbers by changing the �1 � to 31, �2 � to 32 etc..

I then made a �dice � on paper by dividing a circle into 6 and writing only the numbers 1, 2 ,3, 1, 2 , 3 in the �pie slices �. I never use a dice because if there are six numbers it goes by too quickly and they learn nothing.
I then copied a board game and dice [back to back] one for each student and then copied the questions back to back , because there are 4 pages it totaled 2 pages for q �s and 1 for game board. That way each student can use their own game board and just mark off the ones they do and then as practice can do the others at home for study practice too.The can also write the answers on their paper too, so it �s a double whammy. A worksheet and fun activity in one.
I made them work in groups of three and it was a huge success and that is why I �m sharing this idea with you.
For your needs though, you �ll have to make up some continuous and going to q �s too and that should be easy enough if you adapt it on �PAINT �.

Let me know if you need that booklet.
Regards
Andrea  

12 Feb 2011     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I�ve learnt a very good game on this topic recently. I can�t remember, where I downloaded it, so it might be from ESLP. My students love it.

Divide students in groups of about 7. Make many small pictures of someone doing something. Perhaps there are twelve or so different pictures and at least 5 or 6 copies of each picture so 60 cards? The verb may be "A man riding a bike" write the numbers 1 to 6 on the board and write yesterday, tomorrow last night usually always or similar adverbs. Get a  die. Students each get perhaps ten verb cards (mixed up-- having more than one card the same is ok). S sit in a circle. One student rolls die. Maybe it says "3" which is "last night". 

Student puts a card face down on the floor and makes a sentence with "last night" and one of the verbs on a picture card. "Last night I rode a bicycle".

The card that the student places face down on the floor MAY BE the "ride a bicycle" card, or it may not. For example, if the S has no "bike" card, then of course the card he/she lays down can �t be "Bike".

All the students in the circle lay a card face down on the floor one by one, repeating the sentence of the first student ("Last night I rode a bicycle"). If one thinks another S is lying about whether or not the card he laid down is the same as the sentence he says, then doubtful student says "I doubt it!". If the S laying the card down was telling the truth about which card he/she put down, then the doubtful student takes one card from each player. If the S putting the card down was lying, then the lying S takes one card from each player. First one with no cards wins.

12 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Try this  http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=403134#thetop

12 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Martinah! here �s an idea, I hope it �s useful...

You can play "Grammar Auction"....

Write many,many, many sentences on strips of cardboard (not too small). Write some sentences correctly and some with mistakes. Obviously, you will have all kinds of tenses in these sentences (the ones you need to practice)

Then, you will divide the group into teams of 4 or 5 ss. (tell them beforehand they must bring candy, or paper money, whatever you choose)

once you have them seated in their teams, you will show a sentence, and have them "bid" and buy it for their team. Highest bid wins it.

Each team must buy at least  3 - 5 sentences (you choose according to your time) when all the sentences have been sold, give ss a few minutes to work with their partners and decide whether each sentence they bought is correct or incorrect.

You then ask a member of each team to pass to the front, show one of their sentence, and say if it is correct or not. If they say their sentence is correct, and it IS correct, then you give them back their "money" they paid for. If they say their sentence is incorrect, they must write the correct sentence on the board. If they do this correctly, then you pay them double.

if they make a mistake, for example, say it �s correct when it �s incorrect, they must pay YOU double of what they paid.

Do this until all sentences have been presented.

So, keep in mind you have to have lots of candy (the little wrapped individual ones are not expensive) so you can PAY ss for correct answers.

After they the game is over, they can eat their sweets!!!

12 Feb 2011