Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can you recommend a sheet?    

can you recommend a sheet?

MarionG
Netherlands

can you recommend a sheet?

Hi everyone,
I ask your help once more. My students tell me that the most difficult thing for them is getting �the little words � correctly when speaking. -to-for-from-in-on-at-by etc.
I have been looking for a sheet to explain it all but I can �t really find what I am looking for. It should of course be clear, not too difficult (12 yrs olds, pre-intermediate) and deal with as many of these �little words � as possible, not only in-on-at (without swamping them with rules...) Can anyone recommend a sheet? Or maybe someone can give advice on how to tackle this issue? Maybe I should split it?
I have been postponing the subject since I don �t really know how to go about it, any advice is welcome!

12 Feb 2011      

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi Marion,

Do you mean prepositions of place? If so please click on this link.

Hope this helps you.

12 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

thank you suhakader,
No it isn �t necessarily preps of place per se I �m looking for. More things like "I am coming to your party. I brought a gift for you. It once belonged to my mother. I will give it to you. I will meet you at seven, by the lake side, on the other side of town and from there we can go to the party at your place... etc...
I would love to have some clear overview of the rules..
(the stuff you pm-ed was more in the direction but I need the rules somehow...

12 Feb 2011     

Mariethe House
France

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=prepositions%20&userid=119444&user=Katiana#thetop

12 Feb 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

Hi,

There is a book by Scott Thornbury called "Uncovering Grammar" I �ve got it in PDF version. If you send me your email I �ll be happy to share it with you. You can also go to his website, which is http://www.thornburyscott.com/ and have a look there. I don �t know if you find something suitable for that age group but it �s worth trying! Anyway, I can send you that book if you want it.

Hugs from sunny but cold Poland!

Kasia

12 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you for your suggestions. Mariethe, I will definitely have a closer look at katiana �s sheets. What I learn from this though, is that I probably should split it into several parts (preps of time- of movement- of place - preps that go together with certain verbs etc.) and let go of the fantasy that I could deal with lots of them at once...It would be too much for the students to grasp anyway I suppose...

thanks again.

12 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Marion,
If you send me a Private Message with your e-mail address, I will forward you some of my Class Worksheets of Prepositions of Time, and of Place.

Les 

12 Feb 2011     

anca13
Romania

Hi ,Marion! Have a look here:

12 Feb 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Apart from the normal prepositions of place, time, direction, etc I find the students have trouble with prepositions with verbs and adjectives.

One thing I encourage my students to do is learn the preposition with the verb or adjective. We have games, etc practising eg at the end of the period everyone stands up and I call out a word which they must give the correct preposition for. They can leave when they get it correct. Or alternatively they all stand and have to sit down when they can �t answer. The last one standing is the winner.
So: keen   student  answers on
      famous                            for
      recommend                     to
Associations seem to be the best way as so many rules are broken and native speakers do not always agree on which preposition to use.
Cheers Joy

13 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you all..
the subject gets bigger and bigger and harder and harder to tackle....

13 Feb 2011