Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > International Mother Language Day    

International Mother Language Day

almaz
United Kingdom

International Mother Language Day

Apparently tomorrow - 21st February - is �International Mother Language Day �.
I only picked up on this through some Catalan friends (see here). Does anyone here observe/celebrate it and if so, how? 

20 Feb 2011      

cheezels
New Zealand

http://umea2014.se/vagendit/glashuset/program.4.56c32a1c129674fcba380002932.html

Look on the left of the page for WebTV and you will be able to see some footage of what has been going on from all the different language teams.

We have a "glass house" in the centre of town and from last Monday until tomorrow every mother tongue teacher (there are around 70 of us) of pretty much every language you can imagine has had a day and a time to present activities etc in the glashuset.

Last Friday I led a class of 26 through the story/song We �re going on a bear hunt and had made PPT presentations.  We had posters that our children had made over the last few weeks on "icons from home" hanging up and had displays of things from "home". Another colleague Andrew, presented a wonderful speech (videoed but in Swedish) about how important it is to foster a child �s mother tongue in another country and the benefits of doing so.
Another colleague made jelly, so that the class that came in could taste jelly for the first time. (They were a Swedish class but here in Sweden they start learning English from year one and they were the class where one of the teacher �s English speaking child is in)
We also had a student come in and play the violin. :-)

I am back there tomorrow  at 14.00 to present my "what does squash mean to you?" presentation. :-)

There is no video footage of the English day from Friday as we did not want to be filmed. We did not have permission from all of the children �s parents that they could be filmed and then put on the Internet.

Last year we had an exhibition in the library.
I think that as the glashuset is here to stay for another couple of years that we will be back there next year doing the same type of thing for International Mother Tongue Day.

20 Feb 2011