Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you call this?    

How do you call this?

joy2bill
Australia

This is a common problem as edrodmedina has shown. I personally have tried to tackle this problem over and over again including on this site. I even created  a worksheet (not advertising).

"How do you say this" is asking about pronunciation.
"What do you call this" is asking for the name of something.

It is possible to say "How do you call your dog (when you want him to come home)?" Answer: "I whistle."

It is best to use how with say and what with call.
Cely, Big smile please don �t be embarrassed. We are just here to help.It is important that we don �t pass on our own errors to our students.

Cheers
Joy

23 Feb 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

Hey Naty,

Both are correct but I never use "What �s the English for �........ �?". I �d always tell students to use "How do you say �..... � in English?"

23 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cely,

I am never very comfortable with: "What is the correct way to say ...?" because there are often acceptable alternatives.

In my part of the world, the following, (together with �please �), are perfectly acceptable.

"What do you call this?" --- pointing to the object and waiting for the name.
"What is the name of this?" --- pointing to the object and waiting for the name.
"How do you say this?" --- pointing to the written English word and waiting for the pronunciation.
"What �s the English for �Hola �?" --- speaking in another language and waiting for a translation.
"How do you say �Hola � in English?" --- speaking in another language and waiting for a translation.

There are probably other acceptable phrases.
I hope that this helps.

Les

23 Feb 2011     

cacucacu
Argentina

Thanks to all of you!

24 Feb 2011     

rovk
China

ldthemagicman, you made life easier!

i �m not a native speaker, but i always watch american/hollywood movies and songs.

What do you call this?
How do you say this?

you definitely help us.

two thumbs up!

27 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2