Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > sorry but a requests    

sorry but a requests

roneydirt
United States

sorry but a requests

I am sorry but have a request that may seem weird.  I am not known on here for not being a PC person.  Sometimes I ask questions that seem more argumentative than I plan on them to be.

I am having issues with my current boss at my main job.  I recommend things and she is very derogattory to the students behind their backs.  Basically I say they can do things and she says they can �t understand the material.  What is the best way to prove it?  I am a realist so don �t think too highly but for the work I put up think my students can do it but the boss says they are "not Americans they are _____ and can �t do it."  I want to show to the students and the boss that they can do it.  Maybe I live in a dream world but think if my students avoid the negative they could do what I am trying to push them to do.  Am I wrong?

27 Feb 2011      

eng789
Israel

You might want to try oral presentations - pricipals are usually impressed when they hear students speak English well.

27 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Eng - a short play or sketch would be great.

27 Feb 2011     

Sleeping Beauty
Iran

I totally agree with Eng.
I think it �s better if you choose a short story and they perform it as a play.

27 Feb 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, I think that what students are capable of is by far  better known by the teacher than by the boss! If you think your students can achieve it, I would go for it. :) Congrats for your attitute! :)

27 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Roney, please allow me to congratulate you for being the kind of teacher you are. The fact the YOU believe in your students, is so important, since this is what you convey to them. Self-esteem is so important since it �s what makes a student actually succeed in doing things. If you think they can do it, and get THEM to think they can do it, then they WILL be able to do it. Forget your boss! She is not in the correct position IMHO...

The ideas that colleagues have suggested are great! Role plays, short sketches, even a spelling bee contest, or if you think appropriate, a little more complicated project would be good too, like a "personification" (I don �t know if this is the correct word). I did this with my 15 year olds. they chose a character, a public person, from present or past, dressed as this person, and had to learn all the information relevant to this person. then we had like a "museum" tour, they were posted in strategic places, and were "statues"... when the "visitors" came, (before this, each visitor had some "happy dollars" to spend), and when a visitor came before a statue, and wanted to know information about him/her, placed a happy dollar in the box, and with this, the statue came to life, and began to describe his/her life, giving all the information possible. The statue with more happy dollars won more points!

This is a nice activity, but requires time so students can really prepare for this, investigate info, have the outfits made, etc. But my students enjoyed it very much, had fun dressing up, and also proved how much they learned about their character, and the oral presentation gave them a grade for speaking.

There �s many things you can do, just choose what �s best for your students, as you are the one who knows them best!

Good luck, and again, congrats for your positive attitude!!!

Hugs.,

Mar 

27 Feb 2011     

salaskas1
Belgium

Hi Rooney

I completely agree with everyone �s comments and advice and can only reinforce what they have said.

Believe me not all bosses are great! Mine think that preparation time is psyching yourself up before you go into class!!! With 120 students and no books I am not saying that it is not needed but you surely have to allow for writing lessons, preparing worksheets etc!

Please take heart and keep the faith.  Your students are very lucky to have you and if it was me I would hold some type of competition, advertise it through the school, get the ss involved and really sock it to that boss of yours!  

Good luck!

28 Feb 2011     

Errie
Japan

Hey Roney,

I agree with the others. I think Jorgelinaac hits the nail on the head here. You are the teacher and knows what your sts can or can �t. I would even take it further....it looks like your boss doesn �t trust you. If she did she would never bring up something like this right?. I think she should have more trust in the sts too. Kids are amazing and learning fast. Games will mostly do it here and role-plays like some other teachers also have suggested. If they are able to speak English and you praise them for doing so, they will be more motivated than before.

Now go out there and show you boss that your sts can do it!

All the best.

errie

28 Feb 2011     

Aquarius 2
Macau

Roney

The mentality of your boss isn �t unique. There are several of them and not just bosses but teachers like us who underestimate students � abilities. They pre-judge them as to what they can and cannot do. They just want to be in the safer and comfortable side. If students know then their life would be easier as they don �t need to worry about the result. In fact, they are putting a limit on what students can learn.

How can you prove to her? Like what the others have said, they need to see for themselves that what you are doing is working. But it takes time before you really see the fruit of your hardwork.

Cheer up, you are not alone in your ordeal!

28 Feb 2011