Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "The Silent Way" teaching technique    

"The Silent Way" teaching technique

jrg2
Japan

"The Silent Way" teaching technique

Maybe this is against the rules because it �s kind of a re-post.  But, I just want to re-post my message in it �s own topic because I spent a while typing it out as a response to another message, and now it �s hidden somewhere that few will probably see.  And, to be honest, I �ve spent a fair amount of time researching this and I have no one to share it with, out here in the countryside in Japan!  I just wanted to share some of the info. Big smile

=====
I just finished writing this... sorry it �s so long.  I like writing so this was fun to think out and share hehe
I use this method with some students who have special learning needs, and it works well for some of them, I think.Smile
=====

GENERAL INFO
Have you ever heard of "The Silent Way"?  Here�s some info I know about it so far.

It�s a teaching style that was developed around the 1970s.  It involves using cuisenaire rods (I use colored blocks), and phonetically colored word charts made up of the most common words in English, as the teaching aids.  It �s called "The Silent Way" because it �s designed to have the teacher speaking as little as possible.

In essence, the teacher doesn�t do much, if any talking.  I suggest you check out this website, or view his youtube videos to get an idea of how it words.  I saw this 2 and a half years ago in a teaching course, and it seemed pretty cool.  I like playing with stuff, so I enjoyed it.Big smile  His website and youtube videos helped me get started because I often need to watch something before I can do it myself. http://donaldcherry.com/silentway/

CLASSROOM MATERIALS
You can purchase cuisenaire rods and color charts through the mail (I use colored blocks), or maybe you can use a laptop in class to view the color charts that you can find at the website I listed above, and use a zoom-in function to see the pictures (for PCs hold CTRL and use the scroll button on the mouse to zoom in)?  The charts are copyrighted, so printing them off of the website is probably prohibited.

You also need a table and some chairs to sit around the table.

METHOD/TEACHING
You can start with something simple like colors.  Listing off the colors, and then building up to a sentence like, "It�s a blue block" or "This is a blue block".  You can add some actions into it, like "Pick up the blue block", or "Take the blue block", and have the students instruct each other or the teacher.
Then, you start building simple objects with the blocks (example: a chair), and introduce "It�s a chair".  You can point at the color charts to remind the student.  You can also use your fingers as a visual aid to signify how many words the student needs to speak.  If there is an aid in the classroom, it would be great to teach both of them English, and have the aid model new ideas, from time to time.

You can then build up the difficulty and move from "It�s a chair", to "It �s two chairs", to "It�s 2 chairs and a table", etc.  Or you can tell stories with it, perhaps by building a scene with the blocks of a house.  Then, with a block signifying someone, students narrate the actions.  For past tense, "She opened the door.  She walked in.  She sat on the couch.  She watched tv."  Or to make it more complicated, you might teach, "He opened the door and walked in.  He sat on the couch and watched tv."  
Perhaps you can use it in a shopping roleplay, or to simply ask for something, like, "Can I have a blue block?"  Whatever you can imagine. 

Also, repetition is really important.  One great thing about this method is you can use plenty of repetition in the process of experimentation, and the students won�t really even notice that you�re doing a drilling exercise.Shocked 

HOW LEARNING STYLES ARE IMPACTED

Tactile:
Touching their own blocks: The tangible objects will likely help with memory for some students.  Particularly tactile learners (those who need to learn through experience, movement -- for example, by building their own living room, or chairs, tables, etc.).  So... let them build their own objects!  Let them play with the blocks and get familiar with them.
Sitting close to the blocks: Sitting next to the table and blocks for this special activity might help them remember the experience later on, and so, might help them remember words.

Visual:
Colored rods: having a red chair and a black table -- helps the visual learners focus more on the language and less on distinguishing what the object is, because the colors help them process things more quickly.
Phonetically colored word charts: the letters are colored based on the phonetic sound.  So, for example, the "E" in the word "The" is the same color as the "A" in the word "another", because they both share the schwa sound (something like uhh). 
Mouthing words: since teachers are discouraged from talking while using this method, just mouthing out the words and the shape of the mouth can be enough to help students figure out the words for themselves.  Students then try and experiment with sounds to discover the correct sound on their own.  The theory behind this, is that speaking a word has a different sound because as human beings, when we hear our own voice, we�re hearing the sounds through the air, and through the bones in our head.  (But, if she/he learns best by listening, I think speaking the word is probably better.) 
Colored blocks can represent words/phrases: "It�s a chair." <--- use 3 different colored blocks for each word.  I have a student who I think might be living with dyslexia (if mixing up word order is one of the symptoms... I don�t know?), and the colored blocks seemed to immediately fix any problems he had with word order.

Aural (Listening):
Listening opportunities in groups: the students, especially in groups, can listen to one another experiment, especially if one student is singled out by the teacher to give it a try. 
Plenty of speaking: since the method is designed for minimal speaking from the teacher, students are encouraged to talk talk talk. Big smile
Accurate pronunciation and speed of speech: I use this to teach natural rhythm and speed.  For example, tapping my fingers faster or harder at certain points to emphasize a louder voice, or blended words.  Students can handle it pretty well, I think.  And then I can speak at my normal speed after plenty of practice.  Then I like to give a pause sometimes to let the students figure out what I said.

***VERY IMPORTANT POINT*
I learned this the hard way...the student(s) should be sitting at a desk with you, and not behind a desk of their own.  It just doesn�t work if the students are isolated behind a desk.  I think it feels less safe because there is a big physical/energy space between the teacher and students, and they don�t want to put themselves outside of their comfort zone.  Everybody sitting close is best for everyone, as long as you�re not a space invading teacher (who might make the kids feel more uncomfortable so close Tongue)

======

MY OPINION ABOUT THE SILENT WAY
It�s good as one tool of many.  I can�t use it all the time or the students seem to get bored.  It should be a trust building activity where the teacher praises a lot, and doesn�t embarass kids for experimenting.
So, I use this method with a lot of other different methods.  I think it should be used to help build a more complete lesson, rather than as the only method itself.  Some students with strong listening skills, especially in private lessons, probably won�t benefit as much as visual or tacticle learners.

But I think it �s fun.Thumbs Up

John

1 Mar 2011      

MartaZ
Poland

Hi! The topic does sound familiar :) Only a few years ago I wrote my BA thesis about the use of Cuisenaire rods in the teaching of English. In fact I still use the rods from time to time - they �re a really versatile teaching tool.

Have a lovely day Everyone!
Marta

1 Mar 2011