Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > need your experties    

need your experties

subzeroking
Iran

need your experties

Dear colleagues, I need your experience.

Case 1:
I have an adult student in intermediate level who has a lot of problems in grammar, specially when she speaks. She makes a lot of mistakes when using basic grammar tenses (simple past, simple present, etc.). The same can be said about her writings, too. I believe she understands everything - she does her exercises easily enough - but when it comes to speaking and writing, she �s hopeless. I �ve given her extra tasks such as reading stories, writing summaries, listening to audio books, but to no apparent improvement. She �s trying hard but I feel she �s losing hope. I encourage her a lot but I �m afraid she �s stuck. How can I help her?

Case 2: Another of my adult intermediate students has some problems with her writings. She speaks fluently for her level. She uses appropriate words and structures and doesn �t have any major problems in speaking or any other aspects for that matter. But her writings are very simple and full of mistakes. Her mistakes aren �t in any specific area. How can I help her?

You ideas and expertise can be of great help.
Thanks in advance  

6 Mar 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

Well, that �s why adults are so difficult to teach - at least from my experience - the feeling of shame at our own mistakes creates such a horrible mental block that it prevents us from learning new stuff... But let �s try and help you. Here are some of my ideas...

case 1: try giving your student props on colourful paper, written in nice, big letters - props with key phrases you need her to use in appropriate tenses, and also add a list of words made like mind maps/word banks - e. g. props for shopping: Could you help me, please? / Do you have that in a bigger size? etc. with a word bank (you can call it a treasure chest if you wish) with words such as: expensive, narrow, fit, etc. - using colourful props sort of turns the conversation into a game and brings the adults back to the level of children, not in the linguistic sense, but breaks down the barriers and opens our mind up to learning in a relaxed environment. You can also knock on the desk or ring a chime when she makes a mistake, to warn her of her mistakes, but let her correct herself (don �t ring too often, ring only for the key things at first)... Rewards also help - to make her feel like a child, promise a reward for a successful speaking lesson - a small chocolate bar will work miracles:)

case 2: prepare a text written in a way she would write it (full of her type of mistakes) but about a favourite subject she has (e. g. her favourite singer, topic of interest, her favourite film...) - let her be the �teacher �, provide her with a red/purple pen and have her find mistakes in the text and underline and correct them - sometimes we see ohter people �s mistakes more easily than our own, and having them in red makes them more visible and we remember not to use those wrong phrases when we write ourselves... you might also use the original text and the �wrong � text and play �spot the difference � with her - tell her there are ten mistakes and she has to find them... I found that some of my students stopped making some mistakes when they saw them written in print and corrected them themselves...

I hope some of this helps!

6 Mar 2011     

lyny
Mexico

Case 1, I help my ss. with tense charts for each topic. eg.

Q. wrod/ auxiliary/ subject/ verb/ complement
     hat  -  do    -     you   -   do  -   on weekends?

Then scramble the words and ss. have to write them in the right order, you have to make them practice with many sentences and tenses.
Believe me, my ss. improve a lot their grammar with this kind of exercies.

Case 2
, I give my ss. a lot of practice with a domino for each topic, one half they see the picture, the other half they see the written word.
This way they get excellent spelling.
Hope these ideas will help you!

6 Mar 2011