Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > another question    

another question

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

another question

Hi evrybody again,

There is a cloze test activity on my FCE students � book and dunno why there is only one right answer. As far as I knew, "cancel" and "call off" were synonyms. I looked them up in the dictionary and I found no difference between them.

Here you have the given sentence: "I �ve decided not to go to the restaurant. Can you ........ my reservation please?

A cancel     B  put off     C  postpone     D  call off

The key says "cancel" is the right answer but would "call off" be wrong? I also looked up in a collocations dictionary and cancel was the word given with reservation, but i don �t know why.

Thanks in advance

7 Mar 2011      

Apodo
Australia

It �s common usage. The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.

We cancel a reservation.
The game was called off because of rain.
He put off going to the dentist because he doesn �t like it.
We had to postpone our trip because there was a death in the family.

7 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

It �s really kind of complicated to explain, but I think that cancel is used for something that directly concerns YOU, that is, when you decide not to go somewhere: cancel a dinner reservation, your hotel reservation, your doctor �s appointment, a date with a friend... and to call off, implies that an EVENT does not take place: call off a soccer match due to rain, call off a wedding, call off the meeting.....

does that make sense?

7 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Apodo �s explanation is correct - I would just like to add that you can cancel a trip or vacation.
We had to cancel our trip because I got sick.

7 Mar 2011     

lshorton99
China

Apodo is, as always, completely correct.

I �d like to add, however, having taught the Cambridge exams frequently, it is a common enough question - why one word and not another, when they are synonymous.

I start the beginning of every year teaching students the one word that will define their FCE/CAE experience - collocation. This one word is the answer to practically every question one of my students asks beginning with the word �Why...? �

Why do we use one word and not its synonym? Collocation. And collocation basically means that we use one word with another because we do! Or as I might say to Spanish learners, �Because yes. �

Good luck with FCE!

Lindsey

7 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Cancel can be used with anything really. But "call off" is used for an event of some kind... a game, a trip, a party...

7 Mar 2011