Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Vocabulary Worksheets    

Vocabulary Worksheets

Zora
Canada

Vocabulary Worksheets

I just put up a vocabulary worksheet on words and slang words that one might find in Canada for tomorrow... And I encourage other native speakers to also do this. English is so rich and varied in vocabulary that I think we can all benefit from activities like this. It broadens ones horizons. I know that I find it funny and very interesting to hear that something is said a certain way in another country. Heck, you needn�t even go that far sometimes... even within the same country there are differences!

Smile

12 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

What a great idea zora.  I could do a whole book on the kiwi use of the word bugger.  For a great video clip check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Y3AsZ19Hc  hehehe. did you know a word could be a verb, noun, adjective, adverb, expletive, etc etc?

12 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hilarious video Vickii! lol .. we also use "bugger" in Canada but I have the very odd feeling here that you kiwis use it in more ways than we do!! Wink

12 Dec 2008     

freddie
Canada

Hi Zora. As a Canadian who�s been away from home for a long time. I got all misty eyed when I saw giv�n�r on your ws :) Haven�t heard that in a looooong time! :) I agree, sometimes students sound like grammar books, more or less correct, but not very colorful! . For example, one day I was chatting with my Upper Intermediate class and asked, "Is that your stuff?" and they said they had never heard the word stuff before!!! Can you imagine a more useful word?  

12 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

"Stuff" isn�t used at all here in Spain either and I get blank looks when I use it! Such a shame because it is such a great word.

"Where�s my stuff.." // "Let�s go to the store and buy some stuff" // "Psst.. did you bring the stuff?" // "I need you to get me some stuff." // "I�m thinking of doing some stuff on the weekend"...

12 Dec 2008     

freddie
Canada

Psst...Did you get the "stuff" ? wink wink

12 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

"Yup, I got it.. and I hid with the other stuff"...  lol 

12 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

You can also say "stuff you!", when you are angry at someone....Smile
Anyway I have stuff to do...

12 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Or how about... "Why don�t you stuff it!" .. or .. "Go get stuffed!".. LOL

12 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Or a variation mmmmmmmmmm stuffing inside a chicken. So yummie :-) Soemtimes I just make the stuffing without the chicken as I love it so much hehe

13 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Oh.. stuffing os the best! Turkey stuffing is amazing!

How about "I got the stuffing knocked out of me??"

13 Dec 2008