Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Sad...    

Sad...

freddy
Portugal

Sad...

Dear friends, 

Yesterday my power point about the THERE TO BE (simple past and simple present) was reported and later removed just because it has two words in Portuguese (that could be replaced for another language or deleted). Is this right?

15 Mar 2011      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

freddy it might sound dumb but that �s right even for one word  in another language it can be removed. the rules say that it has to be 100% english not 99.9 . try to read all the rules again so this wont happen again.

15 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

99.9%? That �s a bit stiff, don �t you think, Liz? Particularly since one of the strengths of English is the ease with which it can absorb and assimilate words from different languages Geek

15 Mar 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Liz is right. The rules are clear. Wss must be 100% English, not 99%.

15 Mar 2011     

rockthevinyl
United States

I think I actually downloaded your PPT and know the words you �re referring to.  They were just the verbs, right?  In fact, I teach English in Spain so I changed it to Spanish for my kids.  I disagree completely with your PPT being removed - especially for TWO words that were just a garnish (decoration).

edit - Also...I frequently download documents here that can hardly be called English because of the enormous errors.

15 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, perhaps we should appoint an ombudsman to arbitrate on what is or isn �t 100% English and that would get rid of some of the schadenfreude we witness here from time to time. Meanwhile, I have a report to finish for my local EOI (Escola Oficial d �Idiomes) class.

15 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

I can only agree with rockthevinyl and almaz. It seems that 99.9% is not 100% but then again, how many people honestly care if they get 2 or 3 words that are not in English??? Is it really that important that we need to be THAT persnickety about things? (if any of you don �t know what "persnickety" means, then maybe it should be the next WOD! I would have said "anal" but I �d only get my mouth washed out with soap! Evil Smile)

15 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

I agree. dear Linda

Such a Censored word... Waiting for your exlanation, if, onlt ,if, I manage to stand awake.

i �m oofff and feeling miserable

Thanks for being here, well, you always are

Kisses, big kisses to the other LINDA

@ fredy
Don�t take this as a personal attack - it isn�t.
Moderators are just following the rules.
Now, mu advice

Have a lifting in your printable, remove the "foreign" words and UPLOAD it again.

Everything will be ok

PS. I know you can find many "miserable" mispellings here; it�s late,almost midnight, I�m working with electris light,so, I  can�t see very well,  fo may be you find some mstaked - keep smiling, they re on sale.you can keeep them for free.

Hugs
LInDA

16 Mar 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

@almaz  i am sorry if you dont agree but moderators dont make the  rules  if you disagree  try contact the owner of the site who is the only one who can change the rules.

16 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

It depends on how those words were used and from what is posted I would say the PowerPoint should have stayed on.  Then again I didn �t see it and only going by what has been said.  Removal because of two words is a bit anal retentative.  Did you have the English counterpart with it?

16 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

"English doesn �t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."  James D. Nicoll

"The world needs bean-counters too." --unknown

I think it �s pretty sad that there can be no compassion when inforcing rules.  So for you bean counters (nitpickers, anal retentives, etc.) here are some more words that you need to look out for they aren �t English so they have to be reported:

guru, haiku, kismet, karma, klutz, graffiti, guerilla, in vitro, fiasco, faux pas, deja vu, doppelganger, amateur, angst, alter ego, carte blanche, en route, etc., ergo, ad hoc, alma mater, per diem, per capita, post mortem, czar, eureka, laissez faire, lingua franca, mantra, mea culpa, menage a trois, modus operandi, nom de plume, non sequitur, rigor mortis, status quo, vice versa,

Oh! you moderators are going to be busy. Geek

Oh yeah! If you teach "kindergarten" don�t put it on your worksheet--you�ll be reported.

16 Mar 2011