Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > So/Neither do/have I- Agreeing and Disagreeing    

So/Neither do/have I- Agreeing and Disagreeing

douglas
United States

So/Neither do/have I- Agreeing and Disagreeing

So/neitherHi All,
I�m working on a worksheet and need some clarification concerning So/neither do/have I.

When agreeing or disagreeing using so/neither the general response structure is:
         so/neither + aux/modal verb + pronoun
example:
         I like pizza.  So do I.
         I have been to Spain.  So have I.
         I am tired.  So am I.

Question: what is the structure if "have" is my main verb?
       I have a cat. So do I.  (or) So have I.

My gut feel and common usage tells me "So do I" is correct (using aux), but I don�t want to teach my students wrong.  Are both acceptable? Is only one acceptable? Is one more formal than the other? Is this a GB/US usage thing?

I look forward to your answers and thanks in advance.
Douglas

18 Mar 2011      

arkel
Ireland

We would probably say I �ve got a cat. So have I, but I would certainly accept I have a cat. So do I. Maybe it has something to do with British (I �ve got) and American (I have)?

Hope this helps you somewhat Douglas.
Rosemary:)

18 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

According to the British grammarian, Michael Swan, the structure so + aux. + subject (where the answer/agreement to the sentence before uses the same auxiliary verb (as in your examples ...Spain ...tired)) can also be used with non-auxiliary have (and be) as you noted:

I have a hangover. So have I.

As in your example, I like pizza, we use do/does/did after a clause with no auxiliary verb. Since have in the sentence above is not an auxiliary, then there is no reason not to use do/does/did if you so wish:

I have a hangover. So do I.

I �d say it was really a question of choice or style. I �m perfectly happy to use either; there �s certainly no possible ambiguity or loss of meaning. And for worksheet purposes, choose the one you �re comfortable with.

Alex

18 Mar 2011     

Tatyana83
Armenia

I �ve got a dog - so have I. - Br. Eng
I � have a dog - so do I - Br.Eng.

I have a dog. So have I - looks like American Eng.

18 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

No, in the US it would be, "I have a dog. So do I".

Bruce

18 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi Douglas,

I would personally use "so, do I" with have sentences. My reasons behind this are the following:

The verb "have to" is not the same as the verb "have/have got" and we all know that we can make sentences like the following:

I have to go to bed at eight o �clock.
So do I. � "So have I" would be wrong here since the verb "have" is not being used in the sense of possession. Nobody owns or possesses anything here.

So to avoid any confusion, I would say that they should use, so do I, just because it �s correct to use both and it causes less confusion in the long run. The students do not need to distinguish between the verb have/have got and the verb have to.

Cheers,
Linda

18 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I don �t know what �s going on. Everyone sounds a little schizophrenic here. "I like pizza. So do I."

18 Mar 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Have can be both a full verb and an auxiliary. In the first case, it requires "do". When it is followed by got it is its own auxiliary, so we should say:

I have got a cat - So have I, though So do I is also possible (especially in American English).  BUT:

I have a cat  allows both possibilities too!: So do I & So have I.

BUT (again..):

I have eaten pizza. Here have is an auxiliary, so So have I is the only possible answer
I have to go is normally answered with So do I

Edddddddddd, I think I deserve some of that pizza of yours now, isn �t I????

18 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I believe you do Pilar. Doesn �t she?

18 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Ed, your comment reminds me of the poem:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
I �m schizophrenic,
And so am I.

Bruce

18 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

LOL Bruce. I was trying to remember that poem when I read the post. Robin Williams has used it a few times.

18 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >