Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A nice tradition    

A nice tradition

ichacantero
Honduras

A nice tradition

Hi everyone!! Big smile

My school had a christmas dinner last week and one of the things we did was that everyone talked a bit about themselves, for us to get to know each other better. One of the teachers made a very nice suggestion during his introduction; He said that since we where not just esl teachers, but TEACHERS (who are the spokespeople of the world) that we should start a tradition of giving important messages in our classes, for instance, the environment, human rights, animal rights, peace, etc... I really liked the idea because it is true that we are in a position not only to teach about grammar and phonics, but to really make a difference. Our students listen to us, and respect our ideas and ideals... So that�s why I decided to share this with you... maybe you�d like to do the same, and for those who are already doing it, pls give us some suggestions and ideas Star!!

Hugs from Honduras Hug and happy holidays!!

12 Dec 2008      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Ichacantero:

I teach English Immersion and I sometimes have a special day where I pick a topic like animal rights, enviornment etc.  I sometimes invite guest speakers who are very familiar with the subject that has been chosen.  Usually the people that come in are people I know, or friends of friends who are willing to come in without charging a fee.  I have had people who work with animal rights come in and speak about animal rights.  People who work with the enviornment come in and speak about the environment.  My students love this and always look forward to a guest speaker.  We start earlier by learning the vocabulary, reading a story on the subject and preparing questions for our guest speaker.  You would be surprised at the number of people who are willing to come in and share their knowledge for free.  After the speaker has left we have a class discussion.  I find that this stimulates  the students, and that they are not only learning the language, but are learning about important things in life as well.

12 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Wow! Great activity. Thanks for sharing it with us. I�ll start looking for people who can come to my classes as well... I think my sts will like that, and maybe my shy sts start being more talkative if I aske them to ask the guest some questions. Thanks Giovanni for you nice idea Wink

12 Dec 2008