Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I īs???    

I īs???

almaz
United Kingdom

You īve picked a real stinker there, Claudineraciti! I believe this sort of problem commonly arises with so-called coordinate possessives and, ultimately, you have to decide what feels best for you.

I have to say that I īm uncomfortable with all of the īsolutions (eg īmy mom īs and my cat � is ambiguous - two cats?). Then again, if you look at īMy mom and I � as a semantic unit, then your first version works but is awkward and, as we īve seen, raises a few peevish hackles.

If I īm forced to, I īd simply go with my mum and I īs cat since there īs little or no ambiguity, no matter how īungrammatical � it may appear to some. Otherwise - and this is my preferred option - I īd just avoid the whole mess altogether by rephrasing.

1 Apr 2011     

claudineraciti
Italy

Thank you all so much for your great explanations!!! And I do agree with a lot of you when you say I is not possessive. It is of course a personal pronoun and not a possessive one. But still I could not really figure it out at the moment. So I thank you all very much again!!!

Ok, I have to run to school now, otherwise I īll be late. For all working to day, buon lavoro ;-)

2 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2