Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > question tags!    

question tags!

g�lson
Turkey

question tags!

hi, friends! I was confused during my lesson today. I need some help about question tags.

1)Mary is in London now, isn �t she? according to this sentence , if we want to give a short answer what shall we say? In my opinion the short answer must be "Yes, she is." In my teacher �s book there is sth. wrong with the answers I think. I am confused !!!Could you please control my short answers?

1)A: Mary is in London, isn �t she?

B: Yes, she is.

2) A: Ankara is the capital city of Turkey, isn �t it?

B:  Yes, it is.

3) A: Serkan �s best school subject isn �t Maths, is it?

B: No, it isn �t.

4) A: He isn �t going to visit Anıtkabir tomorrow, is he?

B: No he isn �t.

5) A:They are going to visit Anatolian Civilization Museum, aren �t they? 

B:Yes, they are.

6) A:They aren �t going to have lunch at home, are they?

B:No, they aren �t.  

are these right or not?While giving short answers to the sentence with a tag question, we are looking the main clause?If the main clause is affirmative, we give a positive answer?if the main clause negative, we give a negative short answer?

heeeellllppppp!!!!what is the rule?

1 Apr 2011      

sawer
Turkey

as far as i remember, these sentences are usually used without expecting a certain answer.Disapprove

1 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

G�lson, your examples are correct.

Sawer is correct that the answer does �t depend on the question. How could it? The answer depends on the truth.

Bruce

1 Apr 2011     

Apodo
Australia

1)A: Mary is in London, isn �t she?

B: Yes, she is.

But the answer could be: No, she isn �t. She moved to Paris at the end of March.

The answers depend on the truth as Bruce said, but the short form answers you gave are perfectly correct.

2 Apr 2011     

slkchina
China

My Chinese university students always answer such questions backwards.
"You don �t want to go to the movie, do you?" and they answer "yes" when they should say "No, I don �t"?

2 Apr 2011     

aboabed3
Saudi Arabia

Salam

I guess your examples and answers are CORRECT. Yet, sometimes you ask such a question with an expected answer but the answer is quite the opposite.

For example:  Mary is in London, isn �t she?   No, she isn �t. (Maybe she came back or even didn �t go to London in the first place. 

Good Luck

2 Apr 2011     

g�lson
Turkey

thanks for answerig, yes I remember that these sentences don �t need answers but in my teacher �s guidance book there are exercises about it and I skipped it because I am confused next lesson I will do these exercises with my students by being sure that they are correct , thanksss:)

2 Apr 2011