Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > About iclipart.com    

About iclipart.com

pollyanna_pl
Greece

About iclipart.com

After a number of emails to and from Alyson Cardiff first and the legal department of iclipart later, here �s the summary of their demands of me. I hope that sharing my experience will protect fellow members of this site from these people.

In sum, they not only want me to update my worksheets (thank goodness I have only used their cliparts on very few occasions), but they also want me to report to them when I have done so, and also to report to them any other websites I have submitted my work to !!!
My sense of justice can go as far as update the worksheets. (Besides I now have such a  negative opinion of this site that I don �t feel I should contribute to their promotion.) But reporting to them seems totally unfair. Would they still expect me to report to them if I had not bothered to pay them subscription? Apparently not, because they couldn �t track me down.
They also gave me a 72 hour deadline to do all this or else, they will take legal action.
In fact, I must say I personally found their terms misleading. I never thought that in order to take out a similar subscription I would have to resort to legal advisors. I had no idea that the ...exotic examples of forbidden formats also included documents and pdfs. I thought that they forbade one-click copy-pasting of their images, not the other way round. And besides, one would have thought that in illustrating forbidden uses of their clipart, they would have started with the very obvious ones, (docs and odfs) not ignored them altogether.
I feel cheated out of the subscription money I paid to them, because obviously, if I had known, I wouldn �t have spent my money so unwisely.
Let �s see, will they really protect "the livelihood of their artists" as they put it by treating their subscribers in this way or will they manage tho achieve the exact opposite?
Thanks for listening to me! I � m really frustrated and wanted to share this to get it out of my system.

6 Apr 2011      

Zora
Canada

First of all, I totally agree with you and I am sorry for the mess this website is causing everybody.

Now what I think is that they are using scare tactics and cannot "force" you to divulge the sites where you put their clipart. Their jurisdiction is not yours.. i.e. American laws are not the same as Greek and definitely not the same as International laws regarding copyrights AND since there is, at the moment, no real way to track who goes where and does what on the Internet and when without having a high-tech system like the Interpols or police forces, I wouldn �t feel too pressured to give up all your secrets to them.

Their conditions are shady and their "legal" team (which I doubt they have) knows darn well that the wording on their terms is clearly misleading to the layman. I say that we should boycot them and start spreading the word ... in a polite way ... of how just how "strict their rules are, and how one should be careful, cause you know... we wouldn �t want more people in hot water with Iclipart"... It�s for their benefit, ya know... Wink

6 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Thanks for your answer Zora. Actually what you suggest is the stance that I took any way and also asked them to please save me the threats and warnings because they are annoying.
But their nerve!  I can �t help feeling angry! 72-hour deadline!! I could have right-clicked their images instead of paying it  just to be fair to creators and is this what I get ? And it �s not just me, It �s also other colleagues who may be in a more difficult position if they have uploaded more wss than me!
Anyway, I agree with you, we must make sure no more people we know find themselves in the same frustrating position I found myself in just because I was naive enough to subscribe.

6 Apr 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Wow! I �m speechless. You �d think that with today �s number of clipart websites they �d care a bit more about keeping subscribers. Talk about inflexibility.

Like Zora said, there �s no way they can force you to report back what you �ve done with the clipart since their own TOU is vague.

It �s going to be a heck of a headache for many members.

6 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

Hi!

Well, I �ve personally never used iClipart images as (a) I don �t like subscribing for these things (besides, I don �t even own a credit card - and I refuse to get one, for that matter - , so I can �t order anything online) and (b) I don �t like websites with lengthy and vague TOU.

However, I would just like to suggest something for Victor to consider:
Is there any way he could prevent loss of points for the members who have already purchased and used their clipart because of their TOU? I understand they �ll have to delete and re-upload tons of work and I don �t think it �s fair for them to lose their points (and perhaps even premium membership privileges), given the circumstances. Perhaps members who have purchased this clipart could, say, send a copy of their purchase receipt to Victor (so he �ll know they �ve obtained it the legal way) and keep their points.

Just MHO

What do you guys think? Victor, what do you think?

6 Apr 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

what i still dont get is why are they addressing this to you since lots of members here have used their cliparts... why you in particular?  and why not to other website or members...
 @ magneto the members do not loose their point cuse there is an option to update so they dont have to delete, another thing is that  uploading here is time consuming especially when there are problems with the system, so if i have to add that i would have to send the receipt, and search among my thousand cliparts which are theirs and go through my files to search for the receipt when i have bought from lots of companies that even sell cliparts like the ones they have.. forget it i won �t be uploading here anymore, this is a free site and as a teacher i dont have that much time in my hands to add more work to my little time left when i dont even get paid for sharing.... dont take me wrong i love sharing and helping other teachers but not at that price so in other words i dont think that is such a good idea after all. 

6 Apr 2011     

Denisa
Romania

And I am ...puzzled!!!! I didn �t receive any mail from this site, and quite frankly I don �t really remember what cliparts and from where I have used!!!! should I expect a message like this soon?
pollyanna I can surely understand your anger and frustration! they �re incredible!! their nerve!!

6 Apr 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

puzzled...speechlees

I remember, sometime ago we did it
And we can do it now

Many of us have webs and blogs, don �t we?

We can make a logo against them ... kind of  

" Don �t purchase this clipart, you would use it ONLY  on your own walls."

It �s sooooooooooo easy.
And we can tell them in advance what we are going to do, so that

They may calm down.

I �m sure they are not right, they are cheating.

It �s easy, just right click their logo and write a FEW WORDS

A picture  and a few words are worth a thousand of willings.

Let �s do it

Hugs Pollyanna

WE WILL SURVIVE

WE CAN DO IT

WE WILL

Linda

7 Apr 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Welcome to my world!

I had the same problem with iclipart months ago and got the same deadline from them.

I obliged because I did not want Victor to get any legal troubles because of me.

7 Apr 2011     

lyny
Mexico

That �s why I don �t upload a lot, altough I have a lot stuff, I need the clipart but I don�t have the time for reading the whole site (I hate the tiny letters)and  my english is not good enough to get all rules.
I think many teachers think the same.
I �d like you to help us with a list of only truly or kind of honest clipart sites
Could it be possible??
So we don �t have this kind of problems in the future
Please!!!!  It could help us a lot!

7 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

In answer to your question, Liz, simply because I happened to email them and complain about the situation. Also because I gave them a long relpy, explaining (I hope!) how their TOU were misleading and that they shold have been more specific. I also told them that I will certainly not renew my subscription and that I will make sure I inform as many of my colleagues as possible about this situation, so that they won �t make the same mistakes I made.
Finally I told them that I can promise to do my best to track down any cliparts of theirs on my uploaded worksheets at my earliest convenience. And that I don �t feel under any obligation to report back to them, I �ll do what I feel fair to do, and they can do as they please.
But at the end of the day, I think they are ...harrassing me I would say because being a subscriber, they have a list(!!) of all my downloads from their site, so they have something to talk about.
Anyway, they �ve decided to take legal action because they interpreted my reply as an intention to ignore them. Well, they can be my guests :)
I will comply with eslprintables request, to the extent that it is possible, and will then forget about them.

7 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >