Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > help!!!!!!!    

help!!!!!!!

lagringa
Argentina

help!!!!!!!

Hello, Everybody. My students have to translate a text. I don �t want to do it just the traditional way , only by looking up words in the dictionary? Can you give some ideas on how to make it more enjoyable, amusing? Thanks.

19 Apr 2011      

maryse pey�
France

hi dear,

if it is a classroom exercise why not make the text read by a volunteer ? Then see the vocabulary that would be a problem and ask them what they think by deducing from the surrounding text. Make your students summarize what they have understood in a 2nd time. Do all the students agree about what was said ? Then make each student translate a sentence or 2 and ask the others if they agree. If not why and how they would translate.

Don �t forget to mention that 1st of all they must translate the main ideas not to betray the author �s ideas nor your mother tongue. Remind them the �word for a word � is to banish if they want their text to be understandable.

Just let me give you an example : here in France we say �it �s raining ropes � for �it �s raining cats and dogs � which would have absolutely no sense at all. Make them realize that translating is some kind of an art : beautiful and meaningful sentences in both languages WITHOUT betraying the initial meaning and intentions of the author.

Remember your students that English express a lot in a chronological and straight and coherent way using fewer words than languages such as Italian or French for example (I guess that Spanish sounding like Italian for grammar will encounter the same problems) and that if they are reasoning simply it will be ok.

I mean : when you say �the boy is running downstairs � you mean that the 1st done action is when the boy runs before everything else, what for ? to go down. What ? the stairs.

You may be surprise of the results...

And if it is not from English to your mother tongue but from your mother tongue to English ask them to forget their usual way of thinking and analyze the sentences which could be difficult to translate. What are the main ideas ? What are the key words of the text ? What are the intentions of the author ? Then ask them to propose several solutions before looking in the dictionary and to CHECK what they have thought of.

Good fun !

19 Apr 2011     

lagringa
Argentina

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. But the thing is that their level is very, very low. they say they don �t know anything, they don �t care about English. they say that their previous teacher translated everything and did everything for them. I have thought of giving them the sentences translated and having them do a matching activity. I thought that in this way they would find it easier. I really don �t know what to do.

19 Apr 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Kids know more than they let on.
Many are just lazy.
Try giving a sentence to each and have them rephrase it.

There is nothing more boring than translating - it �s better to have them learn to re-phrase - it will sound more natural.

19 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

well, let �s try something else : why not let them PREPARE the exercises ? They would present it (after your checking) to the class and if their words or sentences are right they will have a certain amount of points (you will  determine) and when the others find the answers both of the students will have points. They may choose pictures they like and try to make short and simple sentences about them.

Let �s them prepare questions about these pictures (you will check before the presentation) and if both questions and answers are correct they will have points.

Or let them present their work to the others and the students will have to correct what is wrong and why.

Let �s make an example : what old are you ? => do you agree with the question ? yes => everyone is ok ? no => what �s wrong than ? How would you translate what has just been said ?

Another game young learners appreaciate : make cards with usual words (no pictures in) and make them a �jigsaw puzzle � with these words.

If they are not motivated explain them that everything is a funny game if they can �play � with others.

The matching game is a good idea but let �s them make it. Give the words in English, write them on the blackboard and ask the ones who know some to give the translation without giving the English word(s) it (they) match(es). Just write them on the board. Then ask your students to make simple sentences with the given words adding the missing ones (on the cards for the auxiliaries �do � �does �... or other difficult words of that kind for them) in their mother tongue or in English. Make the others try to translate them in English then let them correct the sentences. Points given according to the rightness of the answers. If it is from their mother tongue ask them to imagine the kind of difficulties they have already met.

Remind them this proverb : never give someone hungry fish, just teach him to fish. The fish will taste better ! You may comment it and make them explain why it is better to learn... than being assisted.

Hope this will give you other ideas simpler to apply.

19 Apr 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello Lagringa! Just one question: in you post you say "my students have to translate a text." What do you mean by "have to".... the phrase indicates obligation to do something. Is this an activity (translation) that MUST be done?

Well, another idea for a different "translation" is to make some sort of competition. Divide the group in teams, call 2 students to the board. You will read out a sentence and they must DRAW what they understand then explain it to the class in their mother tongue. The student to get the picture & translation correct gets some sort of incentive, maybe a small candy or sticker or something to motivate them. As Maryse says, remind your students that in English it is important to translate CONTEXT, not just individul words.

Have a nice day!

Mar

19 Apr 2011