Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Textbook analysis    

Textbook analysis

ivush
Czech Republic

Textbook analysis

Hello friends, has any of you ever done an analysis about some part of a textbook? I am doing this and I would appreciate any hint how to write the structure of this work etc. Thank you in advance <3

23 Apr 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Ivush,

In my opinion, you should analyse the Textbook, covering the following items.  I have given examples of typical comments which you will find written in the book.

Analysis of a Textbook (or Part)  You must decide your Headings for the Assignment.

DESCRIPTION:  Give a detailed description of the Textbook or Part of the Textbook.

Title (of book and chapter); Author (and his/her qualifications); Date; Publisher; Current Price; Number of Pages; Hardback or Paperback; Colour, or Black and White.

AIMS: The stated Aims of the book, usually written on the back page: (�This book will teach a beginner English in 6 months�).

For aims to be effective, they are very often described by educationalists as �SMART� --- Specific; Measureable; Achievable; Relevant; and Time-based.  The chapters/sections which teach should each contain these elements.  What is to be accomplished in each part should be specifically stated; capable of being checked or measured on completion; achievable by these students; relevant to their studies or their life-style; and capable of being completed within a stated time.

CRITICISMS: Criticisms given by critics of the book (if any).  �This is an excellent reader for Pre-Entry students.  Unfortunately, it does not have a chapter which describes the problems of pronunciation�.

READERS: Age, etc. of students/readers for whom the book is written.  (�Male and female adult learners of English as a Second Language�.)

Level, description of readers.  (�Beginners, with a basic knowledge of English�.)

TEXTBOOK: Brief description of the layout, naming sections/chapters, describing photographs, diagrams, etc.  (This gives the Examiner an overall impression of the Textbook.)   

ANALYSIS: Begin an analysis of the chapter/pages, stating the precise pages: (�Pages 115 to 120�), and why these pages were chosen to analyse.

�Page 115, �The Alphabet� begins with ...�.  Give a brief description of these pages.

Ask yourself questions, Ivush!

�Is this chapter easy to understand?  If so, why?  If not, why not?�  �Does this chapter do what it said it would do?  If so, how?  If not, how not?�  �Is it appropriate for these learners?  Why?  Why not?�  �Would I change this chapter?  Precisely how would I improve it?�  �Are the pages laid out well, or not?�  �Is there sufficient �white space� in comparison with printed material?�  �Do the photographs/drawings add to the information, or not?�  �Is this book up-to-date, or old-fashioned?�  �Does it meet the needs of the students/readers?�  �Is it current, relevant to Students� needs?�  �Is this chapter set out so that the Aims are achieved in a �SMART� manner?�

ARGUMENT: List the points �for� and �against� the chapter.

If you can quote another author who agrees with your point of view --- excellent!  But don�t be afraid to say that someone doesn�t agree with you --- because you must present a balanced report!

Proceed through all of the pages that you must analyse, asking yourself the question: �Does this book/chapter/page do what it said it would do, and accomplish the Aims of this book?�

I suggest that you do not slavishly say: �This is an excellent book!� but that you find something that you can genuinely criticise --- but be sure of your argument!

CONCLUSION: Here you summarise your argument.  You briefly list the main points �for� the book/chapter, and points �against�, which you have made in the previous pages.  Do not introduce new arguments in the Conclusion!

You have previously compared the two lists, so you write your final paragraph.

�In my opinion, this book generally succeeds because ... ...  However, I believe that it lacks information regarding ... ...  Overall, the book generally achieves its Aim, �This book will teach a beginner English in 6 months�, but I am of the opinion that it would be improved with a Chapter on Pronunciation and ... ....  

If you refer to Books, Internet, etc. give a Bibliography, References etc,

If you were asked, give a Word Count, and do not exceed the maximum number of words.  Print the title of the work at the top of every page.  Print a page number on every page so that nothing becomes lost.  Read the Assignment Instructions and make sure that you comply with every rule.

I am sorry, Ivush, if this Post is a little disjointed, but I am trying to do 3 things simultaneously.

However, I hope that I have been of some little help to you.

Les

23 Apr 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Hi ivush!

can you please give a little more detail about your requirements so you can get a response at the level you require.

Les � reply is thorough (as usual) but may be more complex than your needs.

Cheers,
AB

24 Apr 2011