Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Easter    

Easter

pilarmham
Spain

Easter

I don �t want to spoil the party, really, I don �t but... I could never understand it when people say "happy easter". For those who have certain beliefs, how can we rejoice when we remember that somebody who was good was killed? Wacko

24 Apr 2011      

Akanah
Spain

His resurrection, and what it meant to Christians, is what it �s celebrated...

24 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

I guess it �s because of the Resurrection part of the story...It gives the message of justice prevailing somehow.

To me it �s all about the idea of somebody voluntarily sacrificing themselves for the greater good...Jesus did fight the status quo to save others, didn �t he? And, while it is always unfair to see good people get killed, it is also inspiring to know that even in the darkest times someone may try to do something for others, no matter what the cost for themselves will be.

Just MHO...Although I �m not religious, I believe Jesus was a real person and a revolutionary in his time and should be honoured for his sacrifice.

24 Apr 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

I understand, I think... It just sounds strange to me.

24 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

So nicely put Magneto, particularly the last two lines.

24 Apr 2011     

wilwarin32
Argentina

We Catholics celebrate the fact thar Jesus resuscitated on Easter Day, the previous days, especially on Good Friday, we mourn his having been killed.

Hugs, and Happy Easter to all!

25 Apr 2011     

cacucacu
Argentina

I really enjoy reading Magneto �s comment. Thank you!

25 Apr 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

This is not what the holiday is about. It �s a religious holiday actually. And everyone looks upon it from his own angle or angel.

25 Apr 2011     

Sara26
Brazil

Dear Maria,

Easter is celebrated to mark the rebirth of Jesus Christ! It is true He was crucified, and it is sad because He was killed. But this story has a very happy ending for us Christians, as we believe Jesus came back to life. So,
the meaning of Easter is "Jesus Christ �s victory over death. His resurrection symbolizes the eternal life that is granted to all who believe in Him. The meaning of Easter also symbolizes the complete verification of all that Jesus preached and taught during His years of ministry. If He had not risen from the dead, if He had merely died and not been resurrected, He would have been considered just another teacher or Rabbi. However, His resurrection changed all that and gave final and irrefutable proof that He was really the Son of God and that He had conquered death once and for all."
So, this story is the basis of our faith as Christians and Easter is the most important Christian festival,  the one we celebrate with the greatest joy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M3_p2i6bH0

Hope it helps you to understand and God bless !
Sara

25 Apr 2011