Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > over or around ?    

over or around ?

aliciapc
Uruguay

over or around ?

Could anyone be so kind as to explain to me why (b) is the correct one ?
( according to the key ) :" Soon he was giving lectures all .......... the country".
(a) along   (b) over    (c) around   (d)  across
Why not (c) ? Thanks a lot !

26 Apr 2011      

maroemma
Greece

Although I �m not a native speaker, I dare say that (c) is also correct. "All about" the country would also have been correct. I don �t think we should always trust the key. I hope a native speaker will clarify this for both of us.

26 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

I agree with maroemma that "all over the country" and "all around the country" both work.

Bruce

26 Apr 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you all for the answers, it seems the key may not be so right after all ...

27 Apr 2011     

roneydirt
United States

It can be b,c and d.  The question is more which is the better answer and what the test as a whole or the section the question is in looking for.  If it is just a general knowledge question then there can be more than one correct answer. 

27 Apr 2011     

zailda
Brazil

I agree with roney, it can be b, c, or d. If the question is related to collocations I �d choose b.

27 Apr 2011