Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Young Learner Games    

Young Learner Games

master846
Turkey

Young Learner Games

Hello All Great Teachers of Different Countries

My profesor at university wants two games for teaching english to young learners.
I will present one of following: jobs,faces,shapes etc
I will make students play games connected with new words, If I choose jobs, I have to make two games through which I will teach ,for example,  police, florist,doctor,teacher...

Please tell two suitable and enjoyable games, topic or lexical set can be different
I will present them to class...

15 Dec 2008      

atsitab
Portugal

You can make a domino. on one side you have a tool and the other you have the name of the job. For instance, on one side you have a scissors and on the other one you can have the word "hairdresser", or even the image of a hairdresser.
Hope this can help you.  I�ve tried this game and my students loved it (they love games!)

Good luck!

15 Dec 2008     

igof
Portugal

Hello...

When I teach jobs vocab to my younger Ss I usually play the mime game with them, or the hidden-word game. They like them a lot and it�s a funny and easy way for them to learn new words. Perhaps you already know these games.

The mime game is quite simple. A student mimes a job and someone in the class has to discover which job he/she is refering to.

In the hidden-word game the student must say words related to the hidden word till someone in the class guesses it. You can turn the game more difficult if you tell your student that he/she can�t say some words that the others would immediately relate to the hidden one. For instance if the hidden word is teacher  he/she can�t say school; students and classroom as clues. This way they will have to find other words to give as clues.

Hope this will be of some help to you...

Good Luck!
Isabel

15 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

For the dominoes you need 7 items,

6-0 / 6-1 / 6-2 / 6-3 / 6-4 / 6-5 / 6-6
5-0 / 5-1 / 5-2 / 5-3 / 5-4 / 5-5
4-0 / 4-1 / 4-2 / 4-3 / 4-4
3-0 / 3-1 / 3-2 / 3-3
2-0 / 2-1 / 2-2
1-0 / 1-1
0-0

For a total of 28 Dominoes. �Replace the numbers above with a picture, throw in a few Words to replace some (not all) pictures, and you�ve got quite a good game.

15 Dec 2008     

marzenka
Poland

Hello! You can prepare some pictures connected with one topic. You show the pictures to kids and you say: "It�s a ... doctor / policeman / teacher etc." - kids have to repeat. Then you put the pictures on the floor (or table - depends where you work) and ask a kid: "Point to...". You can also show them 4 or 5 pictures and ask them to remember the pictures, then you ask one kid to close his/her eyes and you conceal one picture, then you say: "Open your eyes! What�s missing?" - he/she has to guess. Another game is "A phone" - all kids sit in the circle and you say a new word (which kids have just got to know) to one�s ear and he/she has to repeat the word to a person who sits next to him/her and so on. The last kid has to say the word aloud. Another game, which kids like a lot, is "Shark and fish" - one kid is a shark and he/she has a band on his/her eyes (he/she is a shark) and the rest of the group make the circle around "the shark" (they are "fish"). They can count to ten or sing a song and walk slowly (in the circle). When a teacher says: "The shark is hunting", kids stop and the shark has to walk - the first person he/she grabs has to answer the teacher�s question connected with new material. A great game is also "Simon says...". You can also use a ball and ask kids to make the circle - you throw the ball to a kid and you say: "dance like a princess" or "jump like a kangaroo" etc. - it depends on vocabulary you want to revise or teach. I hope I could help you!

15 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Good one Marenka, I showed a group of 5 / 6 year old 25 flashcards removed one, and they were able to tell me all the cards in the correct order and obviously spot the missing one. �So if you do this, have a lot of flashcards.

15 Dec 2008     

marzenka
Poland

Oh! And another good game is "A salad" - it�s great when you want to teach/revise vocabulary connected with vegetables or fruits. Kids make the circle and you say to each of them: "You are an apple... and you are a banana... you are an orange..." - you use 3-5 names of fruits / vegetables. Each kids has to remember what fruit / vegetable he/she is. Then you say: "I would like to eat... apple and banana salad!" - kids who are apples and bananas have to mix - they change their places. Then you repeat it several times, using different names of fruits / vegetables. This game is very good one when you want your group to integrate better or when you want them to sit on different places from usual (because some of them still interrupt or are too noisy sitting next to their best friends etc.).  

15 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Just seen another game advertised on TV called "Headbands"�

I�ve played the cheap version using Nivea. �Everybody puts a drop of nivea or something similar on the foreheads and the teacher sticks a piece of paper on it with a word on it. �So everybody can see what you�ve got on your forehead and you can see everybody elses but no one can see their own.

If the original teacher who showed me this game during a party in Manchester is out there then thank you.

15 Dec 2008     

master846
Turkey

Thanks for all ideas, one yearr later I will be teacer like you, but first I must pass this presentation

16 Dec 2008     

urpillay
Spain

Hi, master846

Flashcards are a very useful resource for teaching vocabulary to children since they can remember better relating a word to a picture. Here you are two ideas you can use with young students:

1. What is missing? (school objects or another topic)
The teacher puts the set of cards on the table. Then, the teacher asks to a student: Have you got a pen? The student answers: Yes, I have got. Then, he/she goes to the table, takes the flashcard with a pen, and gives it to the teacher saying: Here you are. The teacher asks him/her to stick the card on the board. When all the cards are on the board, the teacher asks a student to leave the class. Then, another student takes a card and hide it. After that, all the class says: Come in to the student who is out, and ask him/her What is missing? The student has to guess it.

2. Who is who? (yes / no questions)
The students sit down in a circle. The, the teacher sticks a flashcard with a famous person picture on each student�s forehead. After that the teacher asks one student to start making a question to guess who is him/her. For example: Am I an actor? They only can ask yes/no questions but not the question "Am I a girl or a boy? They game finish when everybody has guessed the character.

I hope this ideas help you!
Good luck with your presentation!

16 Dec 2008