Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > What is your school´s policy? What is your personal opinion?    

What is your school´s policy? What is your personal opinion?

wysiwyg
France

In France, every school has to sign a contract with the national authority concerning copyright, and has to pay a yearly fee that is to be transferred to the Society of Authors. Under these conditions, we teachers are allowed to photocopy pages from books (not exceeding 10%of the total for a book, 30% for a newspaper or magazine).The maximum number of copies is 180 per student for a schoolyear, including all subjects. (a French secondary school pupil studies 9 or 10 subjects, which means that every teacher can use around 18 photocopies during a schoolyear for each of his pupils). OMG I �m not sure this makes sense at all, my explanations are so awkward...sorry about that!
Money is the sinews of war in the French education, and very often the schools can �t afford to buy new books for the ss as often as it would be necessary to follow the syllabus, so we sometimes use photocopies of activities or texts in books, but very few as it is controlled by the school (we are not allowed to photocopy anything ourselves, we have to ask for the copies 2 days in advance, and the number of photocopies we ask for is noted down.)
As for films or videos, there seems to be no control. I sometimes show my ss films, and I guess it is illegal, as I don �t pay any rights to the Society of Authors...

11 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

And if I pay for my own copies or make them outside the school, or print smth out at home? Would it mean I also had to report those in France? and how about wss made to fit the syllabus or the topics in the book? Are those allowed and do you have to be accountable for them too?
Sophia

11 May 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Sophia, if a teacher makes his photocopies outside the school and pays fot them, he won �t have to report them, but as we have around 30 ss in each class, sometimes more, this would be quite expensive in tne end. Any worksheet you personally make or download from a site like ESLP doesn �t have to be reported, but if you ask for 30 or 60 copies of it to use in two groups, those will be noted down in your account (in my school, we don �t have a personal photocopying account, but one for each subject: the English teachers have their own, and the lady who makes the photocopies for us is to enter "our" code in the machine everytime it �s an ESL document).

11 May 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

It can be frustrating to see so many teachers download directly from the internet as they are doing it illegally. Then they are used by our boss as an example of wonderful teachers who are not exceeding the school �s photocopy limits. Because I use worksheets from here I  am regularly in trouble for too many copies.
I have tried using sections of books that I have purchased by scanning them onto the smartboard but, to be honest, it is very time consuming and not as clear as a good photocopy.
I started teaching when there was nothing but blackboards and I wouldn �t like to see us go back to that but......
Really it is an impossible situation. I can see both sides of the argument. 
Should we put it in the too-hard basket?
Cheers Joy

11 May 2011     

donapeter
Romania

there are countries where the state just cannot afford to provide free textbooks for students, more than that, in those countries students are quite poor to buy about 10 books for each subject they study during a school year ( an English textbook made by OUP for example is about 9 euros--- a teacher �s(not an ordinary worker) salary is about 200 euros/month). If students don �t have books (as they are quite expensive), if school doesn �t provide books(same reason), what a teacher can do????? How do they teach? What do they teach? Just imagine how a class like this looks like! And the only thing you can use is the blackboard!

Have you thought that a teacher who spends her/his time looking for resources on Internet, books, etc, makes a bigger effort than a teacher whose only job is to say: Students, open the books on page 45!

Anyway, I think we have here this law,too,  but i haven �t heard about any check-ups for this matter. I live /teach in a country where the good education is paid. Even if this fact is not admitted.We just give diplomas for everyone and pretend to have a lot of academicians, but there are few who really know what they do. And they paid good money for it.  The state is just useless for the ones who want to study more. The private schools are worst than that. 

Being legal is so easy when you have money!! 

11 May 2011     

serene
Greece

Hi Jayho,
Thanks for introducing this interesting subject! In my country, where education is supposed to be free, students are provided with their school books free with the exception of senior high schools, where students have to buy their own English books. In fact, education here is far from free as parents have to pay for their children �s private language school lessons and books as well as for afternoon classes on other school subjects. Therefore, my  senior high school students are very reluctant to pay for their English language books. I hate the arguments at the beginning of each school year when I have to talk my students into finally buying their books. Last year the other English teacher and I decided to drop the workbook and only ask for the main textbook, which I have then complemented with my own worksheets or worksheets I take from here. Under these circumstances, I hope you can understand why I turn a blind eye when occasionally a student whose parents really can �t afford the book brings a photocopied book to the classroom. 

11 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Hello Jayho,

In my country, nothing is really against copyright when it is used for educational purpose as education is what we uphold most against anything else ( of course, who doesn �t) and I have to say, photocopying materials and downloading materials from internet are extremely common in my country although it is actually wrong to do so. I am sorry but we just love to get materials for free (downloading without paying anything) or for cheaper price ( photocopying materials). Guilty as charged!!!!Sorry!!!

P/S I have studied in Australia before and I love the education, the places and of course, the people!

Sincerely,
Sirhajwan

11 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Great responses everyone - thanks for your thoughts

Cheers

Jayho

12 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2