Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Schools in other countries    

Schools in other countries

saratbl
Japan

Schools in other countries

Dear hard-working teachers,

I am going to teach a lesson about schools in other countries to my Oral Communication students this term. If you have time I would love to gather some information about schools in your country.

The information I would like is:

1. Do students pay school fees?
2. Do students wear uniforms?
3. Do students buy lunch at school or bring lunch from home?
4. When does compulsory education end?
5. When does the school year start and end?
6. What time does the school day start and end?
7. How many students are there in each class (average)?

and any other interesting facts you would like to share! :)

My students are going to prepare presentations about each country and present these to the class at the end of the term.

Thank you for your help!

18 May 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, Sara... I will gladly answer your questions about my country: Mexico

1.- Yes, students pay fees.
2.- Yes, they wear uniforms. They have one for PE and the everyday one.
3.- Very few bring lunch from home, most buy lunch at school.
4.- In Mexico, students must finish their secondary education AT LEAST. In some states, high school is beginning to be mandatory but not in all states.
5.- School starts in late August and ends in early July.
6.- Classes begin at 7 am, and end at 2:30 pm
7.- There is an average of 30 students per class.

Hope this is useful for you!

Cheers!

Mar

18 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Hi Sara,

This is what I can say about Spain:

1. Students pay some fees in state schools, but it �s not a lot.
2. They don �t wear uniforms.
3. Students go home for lunch in secondary schools, but normally stay at earlier stages and have morning and afternoon classes.
4. Compulsory education ends at the age of 16. Kids cannot leave school or work before that age.
5. School starts in mid September and finishes around the 20th of June.
6. Classes begin between 8 and 9 a.m. and finish by 3 p. m.
7. Well, too many, I dare say, and the number continues to grow: about 30, I �m afraid.

Interesting question, I can �t wait to learn the facts about other countries!

Hi there, dear Mar.

18 May 2011     

Fernando Damour
Indonesia

Hi..this is what I can tell you about my country Indonesia

1. Do students pay school fees? ( yes )
2. Do students wear uniforms? ( yes, elementary wear white and red, junior wear white and dark blue, senior wear white and light blue )
3. Do students buy lunch at school or bring lunch from home? ( students here buy their lunches )
4. When does compulsory education end? ( elementary students start at the age of 6 and finish senior at the age of 17 )
5. When does the school year start and end? ( starts in July until June )
6. What time does the school day start and end? ( class starts at 7 am - 2 pm )
7. How many students are there in each class (average)? (20-25 students)

great to know other countries as well...

18 May 2011     

carme sammut
Malta

1. Do students pay school fees?

In Malta:   a) Students must pay school fees for Private Schools
               b) Donations are given to Church schools
               c) Government schools are free

2. Do students wear uniforms?

Yes, all students wear uniforms.
3. Do students buy lunch at school or bring lunch from home?

Students bring their lunch from home.

It ends when students are sixteen years of age.
5. When does the school year start and end?   approx. 19th. Sept. until 6th. July
6. What time does the school day start and end? 8.30 am until 14.30
7. How many students are there in each class (average)? 20

18 May 2011     

aboabed3
Saudi Arabia

In my country, Saudi Arabia

1. a) Government schools are free.
    b) Students must pay school fees for Private Schools 

2. No, they don �t wear uniforms (but our traditional clothes are the one worn.)

3. It depends on the student but usually at school.

4. At the age of 17-18. (high school)

6. It starts at 7-7.30   and ends at 1.30 - 2

7. the average is 30 in intermediate school and 35-40 in high school.

18 May 2011     

Gerardina
Costa Rica

1. Do students pay school fees? We have both public schools supported by the goverment and private schools in which the students pay a fee. 
2. Do students wear uniforms? Yes, Students in public and private schools wear uniforms.
3. Do students buy lunch at school or bring lunch from home? Some students eat at the school cafeteria which is sponsored by the goverment and some students just buy their food in little cafeterias around the school.
Primary education and general basic education are compulsory.
5. When does the school year start and end? The scool year ends on December.
6. What time does the school day start and end? The school year begins on February.
7. How many students are there in each class (average)? There are around 30 or 40 students in a class.

I work at a night high school. My students go to work during the day and come to school. It is really challenging but I love my students.

According to art. 78 of the Costa Rican constitution

"Primary education and general basic education are compulsory. Though the system is said to be free, many cannot afford the required uniforms and rural schools have no books for students. The length of time daily spent in school is 3.5 hours since the school class schedule is divided into two sessions in order to accommodate the students. Those levels and the diversified education level are, in the public system, free and supported by the Nation. Public expenditure in State education, including higher education, shall not be less than sixteen percent (16%) per annum of the gross domestic product, pursuant to law, notwithstanding the provisions of Articles 84 and 85 of this Constitution. The State shall facilitate the pursuit of higher studies by persons who lack monetary resources. The Ministry of Public Education, through the organization established by law, shall be in charge of awarding scholarships and assistance."

If you need pictures I could send you some.

18 May 2011     

luglena
Ukraine

HI from UKRAINE

1. tducation is state-provided (free), though there are also private schools where you pay

2. obligatory uniforms (it depends from the school-- some schools provide it)

3. moreoften they buy smth, sometimes they bring, in some schools ther are canteens, pupils can pay for them, and ther are some places like Chornobyl zone-- where  breakfasts and substantial lunches are provided (free for pupils))

4. school starts at age of 6-7 (elementary school -- four years), when pupils finish 9 forms - they end their secondary education and can enter some specialized school or college for 2-3 years? or continue studiing in the 10-11th forms. compulsoru education is 9 forms, but if you don �t have 2 more years you can not enter any university

5. 1 september- 30 may

6. school starts at 9 p.m, lessons- 45 min, breaks 10 min, a middle break after the 3rd lesson 30 min, usually school ends at 1-2 p.m for elementary pupils, and 2-3-4- for secondary

7. particulary in my school there are 30 pupils(9 forms only)and 12 teachers, there are 2-7 pupils in each class--- it is a village school (the situation is different everywhere)in other village schools there can be 20-25 pupils in each class

in town schools there are 30 pupils in each class, they study together but are devided for English in groups of 10-15 pupils each

18 May 2011     

aboabed3
Saudi Arabia

What about you in Japan??

18 May 2011     

stamama
Cyprus

Hello from Cyprus. In Cyprus students start school at the age of six.
1. They don�t pay fees. 
2. Yes, they wear uniforms (a grey skirt or trousers for girls and grey trousers for boys and white shirt for all)
3. School finishes at 1:00 o�clock every day and they have lunch at home.
4. Compulsory education ends at the age of 15. Kids cannot leave school or work before that age.
5. School starts in mid September and finishes around the 20th of June.
 6. It starts at 7.45   and ends at 1.05 every day. 
7. There are at  most a number of 25 students per class.

18 May 2011     

Tkr-2011
Kiribati

Hi there! This is about school in my country, Kiribati.

1. There is free education offered by the government, that is from classes 1 to 6, then continue to form 1 to 3.  However, sending your children to private and churches school for higher education you have to pay their school fees.  

2. The students do wear school uniforms but as they continue their schooling at tertiary level they are no longer wearing them.

3. It really depends upon their parents, that is there are parents let their kids buy their lunch from the stalls at school while others bring theirs from home.

4.  Students must complete their form 3 at Junior Secondary School.

5.  It is usually starts at the first week of February and ends at the first week of December.

6. It starts from 8.30 am till 2 pm.

7.  A class usually consists of 30 children but it can less or more than that.

18 May 2011     

1    2    3    4    Next >