Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help please    

help please

metcet20
Turkey

help please

Good night everybody. What �s the difference?
I wish he came
I wish he would come
Thanks in advance

23 May 2011      

keftor
Turkey

When you say " I wish sb/sth would..." it means you are unhappy with the situation.

But "I wish you came" is just a wish.

I hope this helps.

Macmillan Dictionary says:

I wish someone/something would do something

23 May 2011     

aboabed3
Saudi Arabia

Hi

This is a full explanation from http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/IF10.cfm 

The verb to wish

The verb to wish is followed by an �unreal � past tense when we want to talk about situations in the present that we are not happy about but cannot change:

• I wish I had more money (=but I haven �t)
  • She wishes she was beautiful (= but she �s not)
  • We wish we could come to your party (but we can �t)
When we want to talk about situations in the past that we are not happy about or actions that we regret, we use the verb to wish followed by the past perfect:
  • I wish I hadn �t said that (= but I did)
  • He wishes he hadn �t bought the car (= but he did buy it.)
  • I wish I had taken that job in New York (= but I didn �t, so I �m stuck in Bristol)

NOTE: When we want to talk about situations we are not happy about and where we want someone else to change them, we use to wishfollowed by would + infinitive:

• I wish he would stop smoking. (= I don �t like it, I want him to change it)
  • I wish you would go away. (= I don �t want you here, I want youto take some action)
  • I wish you wouldn �t squeeze the toothpaste from the middle! (= I want you to change your habits.)

Good Luck

23 May 2011     

metcet20
Turkey

Thank you for your kind replies, but I am still confused
I wish he stopped smoking. You are not happy about the situation that �s why you make a wish. I would like to understand more clearly. so the difference is that you are angry or sth like that. Why not I wish he would stop smoking

23 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

My humble opinion

I wish he came  - but he is not to come, because I know he can �t - because he is so far away that it is impossible, cause he is in a hospital, cause he doesn �t know he should be here......

so, you wish, but you know that your wish can �t come true.

I wish he would come - he is late, but I know he is on his way, the problem is that he hasn �t arrived yet, but I am sure he will arrive in a few minutes, half an hour or so.

Hope I have helped

24 May 2011     

mesbah ben gaied
Tunisia

HELLO
IT IS QUITE EASY TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN:
A-I WISH HE STOPPED SMOKING =UNREAL PAST TENSE TO  TALK ABOUT A SITUATION IN PRESENT THAT WE ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT BUT I CANNOT CHANGE  THE SITUATION
B-I WISH HE WOULD STOP SMOKING= UNREAL PAST TENSE TO  TALK ABOUT A SITUATION IN PRESENT BUT I WANT HIM TO CHANGE THE SITUATION THROUGT PERSUASION, SUGGESTION...PERHAPES. 

24 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

"I wish he would stop smoking" is a better and more common way to say it. I just thought of a way that might clear it up for you.
To express a desire, we can use "hope" plus a verb or "wish" plus the conditional form of the verb. (There are other ways to do it, too, of course).
Both forms can be used in the present or the future. I think the "hope" form is easier to understand, and once you see it, I think the two "wish" forms you are confused by will be much clearer. Also, the "wish" form is for events that are less likely to happen.

I hope he stops smoking.                        I hope he will stop smoking.

I wish he stopped smoking.                     I wish he would stop smoking.

I hope my sister calls.                             I hope my sister will call.
I wish my sister called.                            I wish my sister would call.

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

24 May 2011     

Tatyana83
Armenia

I wish you downloaded this:
http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=43065#thetop

means   I want somebody to download my worksheet - cause I think it is just of great help.
But I don �t actually ask somebody I just thinking about that . I cannot change the situation

I wish  you would download this:
means I �m practically asking you to download through suggestion...
GUYS I �ve run out of points!
I WISH YOU WOULD DOWNLOAD!!! I WISH YOU WOULD DOWNLOAD at least SOMETHING !!!!

isn �t it nice examle?Embarrassed

i hope you won�t accused me of doing wrong thing
i hope you will help me!
 i wish you would help me!

24 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

The difference:

I wish he came ... (This sentence is incomplete. It cannot be said alone -see below)

Compare: I wish he had come. = I went somewhere, but he didn �t come.

I wish he came more often. = He comes to see me sometimes.
I wish he came regularly. = He doesn �t come to see me regularly.

I wish he would come.  = He doesn �t come to see me. / He won �t come to see me.

I wish he would come.  = I am waiting for him to arrive.

24 May 2011     

mariec
Spain

I wish he would stop smoking. This means his smoking is annoying you, or you�re

complaining about his smoking, or you would like to change the situation.

I wish he stopped smoking, This is a wish, probably you are worried about his health or he 

is someone dear to you, and you are thinking of him and of not yourself.

Hope you understand what I mean??

24 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I have sent a PM Smile

24 May 2011     

1    2    Next >