Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Meaningful book to encourage reading (and writing)    

Meaningful book to encourage reading (and writing)

breez
Singapore

Meaningful book to encourage reading (and writing)

Hi teachers and parents,
I am an ex-journalist and currently, part-time university lecturer. I would like to recommend you a meaningful book to encourage reading. The book is entitled "Come into my world: 31 stories of Autism in Singapore" (available at www.come-into-my-world.com), written by Brenda Tan. This book is a meaningful read because it comprises true stories of hope and determination, and it allows readers to develop compassion towards people with special needs. The book is written in a reader-friendly style and is suitable for both young and old. As I am trained in the experiential approach to English teaching, I am going to suggest an experiential way for you to use this book to get your learners reading:

Pre-reading Activity:
Do you know anyone with autism? How do you know this person is autistic?

Whilst-reading Activity:
As you read the 31 stories in this book, jot down the various signs of autism.

Post-reading Activity:
1. Prepare a skit on autism.
2. Using the internet, do a research on autism and prepare a 20-min presentation to educate your class.
3. Imagine you are an autistic person  who can write. Write a diary entry.

I hope you find the above lesson ideas useful. :)

28 May 2011