Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Lyrics    

Lyrics

mourisca
Portugal

Lyrics

Dear colleagues,

When you use lyrics in your classroom...

... what kind of strategies / activities do you apply with this kind of resources?

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas and experiences....

Hugs from sunny Portugal,

Vanda

11 Jun 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

It depends so much on the topic I �m dealing with. I practically never do lyrics just for the sake of the song, but always somehow try to link the song to the issue at hand, whether it be grammar or a life �s lesson. And of course, it depends on the knowledge level and age of my students. I am not a big fan of just handing out a fill-in task. This is a problem sometimes, because dealing with a song for me can fill out a whole lesson, even a double one (as you can see from my worksheets and OEs). I somehow always try to give the students  sth to go home with � - both for the mind and the soul. For instance, we did Kid Rock �s Born Free during our last week before the holidays, and we talked a lot about the nature, ecology, stress-free life, etc. because the song and the video deal with that. My message for their soul was to stop and smell the roses, and as for their vocabulary, we worked on expanding their nature vocabulary and descriptive adjectives. But I rarely tell them this is what the lesson is about - I try to let them be carried away by the message of the song, so that they can learn with fun, relaxed and just �take it in stride �, you know - let the magic of music and language do the work naturally.
I hope this helps and doesn �t sound too pretentious.
Have a great weekend.
Anita

11 Jun 2011     

meuge
Argentina

Hi all!
Anita ...  I love what you say... It �s a fantastic way of dealing with a song...
Great weekend to you too!

11 Jun 2011     

Begogzp
Mexico

Hello...Hello!!!
   Well it depends but with a song you can do many activities I work with children and they love songs so for example with the song lemon tree my students sing and make the movements and they like it a lot there is another one about pirates to practice verbs and they also use movements another idea can be with the song of the lion sleeps tonight they act it out using masks and complete the spaces
  I hope this ideas help you
       Thanks
  Bego�a

11 Jun 2011