Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of The Day    

Word of The Day

wysiwyg
France

Word of The Day

Hello ! I am very proud to be the winner of yesterday �s WOD, so here �s my word for today: TRAGEMATOPOLIST. I �m glad I don �t have to say it Wink

I �m going to work, and I �ll look forward to your definitions....

14 Jun 2011      

Zora
Canada

In the early days of theatre, tragematopolists where the critics of the day. Armed with a basket of rotten tomatoes and a little willow pole for whacking the actors feet when they offended him too overly much with their sad dialogues, the tragematopolist was often found lurking around new plays or play writers bars hoping the next one wasn �t a "tragedy"like the last two he had seen...  

14 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

TRA - trazer( Portuguese for bring )

GEMA - precious stone

TOP-  top

O - of

LIST - list

Translation - Bring me a diamond

This is what a fair, young maid would say, in the old times, whenever a gentleman would show up and ask her to marry.

14 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

TRAGEMATOPOLIST...In Spanish tragar means to swallow... mega means large, polist comes from the word pole or large stick, and ist is a suffix meaning a person who is involved in. Therefore TRAGEMATOPOLIST means a person who swallows a big stick.

This is a professional TRAGEMATOPOLIST.

Please do not attempt this at home.

14 Jun 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Someone born in Tragematopolis, a kingdom far far away.

14 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

ESLp news cast:
Many soles were lost when the famous fish restaurant went up in flames.
The fire was apparently caused by the over excited chef-apprentice, lighting his first creme brulee. In response to this tragedy, the apprentice in question was demoted to the rank of
TRAGEMATOPOLIST, and he will be polishing tomatoes until his contract runs out, next year..

14 Jun 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Oh dear...I love them all! Let �s wait for some more gems...

14 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

TRAGEMATOPOLIST

�Gloriawpai� is very close, with her definition of a resident of a faraway land.

There is, indeed, a unique, remote, self-governing, African island which has connections with the �Tragematopolists�.

It is unique for 3 unique reasons.

1)  The first reason that this African island is unique is because it has a population of only 3 people.

Number One Person is the President, who is Supreme Tribal Chief, First Lord of the Admiralty, and Chancellor of the Exchequer.  He performs all the ceremonial duties.

Number Two Person is his wife, who is Lord High Everything Else.  She does all the work.

This is a democracy.  Consequently, Number Three Person is a Social Worker.  He calls every day to ensure that the President lives in the style to which he is accustomed: meals properly prepared; house cleaned immaculately; and the children well-educated.  (I realise that there aren�t any children, but there might be!)

2)  The second reason that this African island is unique is because it is an island entirely surrounded by land.

The wife of the President, in her capacity as Minister for Tourism, very wisely describes the area as: �This precious stone set in the silver sea�, rather than giving it a more banal, unwelcoming, factual description.

3)  The final reason that this African island is unique is because it is located in South America.

The wife of the President, who is Minister for Defence, successfully argued that to describe the island as being in Africa, (when it was actually in South America), was a perfect disguise from enemy nations.

Last year, the President�s wife, whose portfolio includes Minister for Culture, was appointed by the United Nations to keep a list of all �Tragematopolists�.

I will explain.  The Theatre, Radio, Films and Television have many different acts --- actors, singers, dancers, etc.  It also has �Spesh Acts�, �Specialty Acts� --- ventriloquists, impersonators, trapeze artists, etc.  It is obvious that a �Spesh Act� leads a very precarious life, and is often unemployed.

For example, it is unlikely that an ice-skater would be engaged for the film, �Sands of the Desert�; or a Belly Dancer for an episode of BBC TV News; or a Mime Artist for a Radio Programme!

Many �Spesh Acts� fail: the person lives a life of poverty!

A Contortionist in financial debt and cannot make both ends meet.

A Coin-Swallower critically ill in hospital --- �No change�, says Doctor.

A Tap-Dancer injured when he falls into the Sink.

A Spirit-Writer unable to find her Invisible Ink.

A Stilt-Walker unemployed, due to Dutch Elm Disease.

The Human Dustbin eats Sanding Machine: expected to scrape through.

A Lion-Tamer bitten by the Lion: Lion recovers.

A Bird-Impersonator injures himself, when he falls from a chandelier.

These are descriptions of Tragematopolists = failed Specialty Acts.

Les (Sob! Sob!)

14 Jun 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Les (if I may), this is precious.
I �m having a wonderful time reading this...

14 Jun 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

TRAGEMATOPOLIST

An Optimist finds no tragedy in Maths Language.

15 Jun 2011