Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Santa´s reindeer    

Santa´s reindeer

renca
Czech Republic

Santa´s reindeer

Hiya,

there has been a bit of discussion over my latest ws about Santa�s reindeer. The main point was the confussion about the name of one of the reindeer , Donder versus Donner. Here is an extract claryfying a bit how the confussion occured:

The Donder v. Donner Controversy

Confusion over the name of one of Santa�s reindeer has been present from the inception of Moore�s poem. The first published version appeared in the New York �Troy Sentinel� in 1823 and contained a typographical error that listed a reindeer by the name of �Dunder.� However, when the poem reappeared in a collection of Moore�s poetry in 1844, the name given in the text was �Donder.� Furthermore, Moore�s own introduction to the collection indicated that �Donder� was indeed the correct spelling he had intended. In addition, in a longhand version of the poem written by Moore the year prior to his death, he again rendered the name of �Donder.�

Part of the �Donder/Donner� confusion is that �Blitzen� (the reindeer with whom Donder is generally paired) takes its name from the German word for �lightning,� and the German word for �thunder� is �Donner.� (�Donder� means �thunder� in Dutch, but it is unknown whether Moore actually made this connection or whether it is merely a coincidence.)

If interested in more about the history of the reindeer girls, go to : http://yorkwhite.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/the-history-of-santas-reindeer/

Greetings from Renata

18 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Renca,

Thank you for the clarification.  I have always used the �donner� version as it is easier for English children to sing.  In future i will stick to moore�s original idea - or was it moore who wrote the poem....?

18 Dec 2008