Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do you speak English with your own children at home?    

Do you speak English with your own children at home?

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot for your opinions I feel a little bit like Yolanda, I don �t want them to reject the language, I suppose I must have a lot of patience and do it little by little. I live in Catalonia and when they were born we decided to speak Spanish at home because the language at schools is Catalan, and both of them speak both languages, and it �s very interesting to listen to them speaking Catalan with their classmates but speaking Spanish one second later when they �re addressing to us. I guess, I must have a lot of patience and begin little by little with flashcards, and games and then try to speak directly in English. Anyway, thanks a lot for your kind help.

Bel�n

16 Jun 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Here is my experience with my son:

He was born in the US and we moved to Spain when he was one year old after his father �s death (his dad was American). We lived with my parents and siblings then and I decided to speak only English to him ( as it was still fresh and natural for me at the time) while everyone else spoke to him in Spanish. His reaction was a no-no, he always shook his head when I spoke to him! He turned two and spoke neither English nor Spanish, so I gave up. Big mistake, as I know now. Of course it was difficult and demanding for him then, but he could have learnt both languages (just like Catalonian people do so naturally) if I had been more patient.

Fortunately, later on he developed a liking for English (probably for emotional reasons) and learnt it well at school, so he is quite fluent now, but he is not bilingual.

I think learning always requires an effort and patience. Some contexts are easier than others, of course.

LOL Handshake

16 Jun 2011     

< Previous   1    2