Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > poetry translator    

poetry translator

Mariethe House
France

poetry translator

I want to translate a French poem into English. Does anyone know a link to a good poetry translator? Thanks a lot! Promise I will share the poem with you!Smile

28 Jun 2011      

Lancillotta:
Italy

Try here:

Translation of poetry is one of the most difficult and challenging tasks for every translator.
So you can use that site to have an idea of the new text, but then you have to work on it .

I hope it helps,
Sabrina

28 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I know one. Il habite ici Smile
Sophia

28 Jun 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Merci Sophia et Sabrina ! I found what I was looking for!
Here is the poem in English

Sweetheart, let us see if the rose
that only this morning unfolded
its scarlet dress in the sun
has lost, at vesper-time,
the folds of its scarlet dress
and its colour, so like yours.

Alas! See how rapidly,
Sweetheart, she has let
her beauty fall all over the place!
Nature is truly a cruel stepmother
when such a flower only lasts
from dawn to dusk!

So if you hear me, Sweetheart,
while your age flowers
in its greenest newness,
gather, gather your youth.
Age will tarnish your beauty
as it has faded this flower.

As you both speak good French Wink here is the original version:

http://poesie.webnet.fr/lesgrandsclassiques/poemes/pierre_de_ronsard/mignonne_allons_voir_si_la_rose.html

28 Jun 2011     

yanogator
United States

Mariethe,
It is so beautiful and sad. I find it interesting that the translation changes the order of the last two lines. It does make it sound more natural in English, but poetic license allows unusual word order. The main reason I �m writing, though, is to ask if the word "faded" in the last line is in the original. I don �t know French at all, but I could follow the words fairly well until I got to the end, and there seems to be only one verb (plus the auxilliary, of course) in the French. It looks to me like it says, "Like this flower, age will tarnish your beauty". Again, this is just the logical mathematician "figuring it out", rather that someone who knows anything, so I could be totally wrong.

Thanks,
Bruce

28 Jun 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Yes , you are right Bruce! And very clever too!Smile
There is only one verb in the French text and your translation is closer to the meaning but I guess , for a question of rhythm, the translator added the word �faded � and changed the order of the 2 last lines.  However, I think:
Gather gather your youth
like for this flower,
age will tarnish your beauty.
is quite acceptable and even better... Probably the translator thought the signification would be clearer with this extra explanation! You see , not everyone is as clever as you are!! Big smile  I am glad you liked it!

29 Jun 2011