Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

I just received a telegram (do they even have those anymore?) informing me that out of the hundreds of daffynitons posted mine was chosen as the winning entry. So it is my honor, my privilege, nay my obligation to post the next WOD and hope that you will take a few seconds of your busy schedules and provided us with your creative interpretation of the word  PANTOPHAGY. Remember no dictionary meanings, no Googled definitions. Let those creative juices flow. Meet your muse head on and embrace it. On your marks, get set, ......

30 Jun 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

You know, this word is used in Czech too. I think it is of German origin. Pantograph is a tool to connect the train or tram to the electric wires. Phag means something like a mouth.
So pantophagy is an illness of a mouth/lips which causes a burnt-like skin of your lips.

If you don �t drink for a long time while walking your dog in Sahara desert, your lips will be dry and sore.
If you suffer from pantophagy, you lips will look like the mouth of Glum (from LOTR).

30 Jun 2011     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Pantophage is to a pantomime taking a picture with a make believe camara as photograph is to a photographer taking a picture with a real camera...

So....pantophagy is more or less like photography...but studied and/or practiced by a pantomime.

Smile

30 Jun 2011     

alien boy
Japan

it �s a scientific discipline related to analysing & measuring the panting of animals during these hot summer days...

using a pantophage youi can measure the intensity & frequency of pants. These pants can then be rated in degrees �P � (for pant, obviously). So, for example, on a 40 degree �P � day it can safely be assumed that your pet pooch reuired plenty of fresh, cool water so pantophigation doesn �t set in (asphyxiation brought on by panting).

The science of pantography is only recent, so there is still much research being done to create appropriate interspecies correlations & then to progress to impact studies!

Or, at least in this summer heat, it �s a science that should exist...

30 Jun 2011     

eng789
Israel

pan-top-hag-y

It �s when a HAG runs after you with the TOP(lid) of a PAN the Y at the end is just to make it sound like like a disease.

You got to watch out for those hags.

30 Jun 2011     

douglas
United States

It �s a term used by cameramen when they want someone to slowly move the camera (pan the camera) towards the effeminate guy.  ( the PH has an F sound).

--probably pretty politically incorrect-but oh well--

30 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Douglas.... That was very politically incorrect. The word is camerapersons not cameramen.

30 Jun 2011     

maryse pey�
France

PANTOPHAGY

Well, yesterday my uncle came back from Scotland so I can assert that the Scottish ghosts were completely drunk when he was there.

Imagine the mispelling of their message !

Here the actual meaning :

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA completely crazy about Scottish HAGGIS. To enjoy this dish they must absolutely wear a TOP HAT and a bow tie. And when they start eating one they cannot stop until they explode with a lot of noise, so to become a whole ghost again they go to hide in a bottle of PHINE AGY, sorry of wine aged in cellar...

30 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

A very easy word Ed. Pantophagy is the fear of wearing "pants"... especially underpants. Using this irrational fear of such garments, Mr. Hustler (not to be confused with Larry Flint of Hustler magazine), decided to open up places where women could freely remove their "pants" and, to boot, get paid for it.   

30 Jun 2011