Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD - what a great game it is!!!    

WOD - what a great game it is!!!

anitarobi
Croatia

WOD - what a great game it is!!!

Hi there, everyone!

Wishing you all a glorious weekend. The honour to choose the word of the day has been bestowed on me, so here it goes.

The WOD for Saturday (June 2nd, 2011) is:

ZYMURGY

Remember - we �re looking for the most romantic, most hillarious, wackiest, weirdest explanation you can think of for this word, but don �t check the real dictionary definitions, pls, pls, pls.... you are free to illustrate your explanations with corresponding pics or comics (just keep the size smaller not to clog the forum) and - let your imagination do the rest.....

Have fun! (Teachers are allowed to have fun, you know!)

Anita

2 Jul 2011      

MarionG
Netherlands

Pleased to introduce: Zymurgy

In an attempt to stay �up to date � and relevant for a new generation of kids, a new kind of Smurf has been added to the Smurf �s village: a cloned smurf. After lots of deliberations it was decided to call him "zymurgy" combining the word �zygote � with the word �smurf � in which the the letter �f � was replaced by the next letter in line, the letter �g � to hint that this is a whole new generation of Smurf �s (or rather Smurgs). Creators of the series hope that introducing this new character will spark new, innovative story lines, including, but not limited to genetic engineering/manipulation, same sex partnerships, teenage troubles, the high tec era, global warming, the rising prices of pop corn etc. etc..

2 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Newest trend of underwater sports (submerge = zymurg). This ZYMURGY trend has become very popular!

2 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Some years ago the ESSO oil company decided that it needed a facelift to bring it into the approaching 21 st century and changed it �s name in may countries worlwide to EXXON. Sims (a strategic life-simulation computer game) has been around almost since the the start of the computer gaming revolution. To spruce up their name they are in the process of changing their name to ZYMSURGY: is a suffix meaning the science, technique, or process of working with or by means of. So a combination of Zyms (the new name for the game) and urgy the processof working with (in this case playing with) is just a way of saying the process of playing a strategic life-simulation game. I know..I have way too much time on my hands.

2 Jul 2011     

wysiwyg
France

It should be the correct word for the urgent need to improve the pronunciation of the very tricky english "th" sound for french people..... 

2 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

ZYMURGY is the scientific term to describe an enzyme �s natural urge for reproduction.

2 Jul 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

You are right my dear colleague, it is a great game.
Just when you think you �ve seen all the words, another cracker comes up.
so, from London, my guess is this is code speak in a retirement home...
when the residents get rowdy and can �t walk back to their rooms the orderlies
call out: "ZYM MURGY"
which is code speak for: "Zimmer frame please! It �s an emergency!"

2 Jul 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Zymurgy is the word that an optometrist uses when you go in for an eye examination.  It means when Z and Y merge into G and Y you have a big problem.

LINE

STRENGTH

ZYMURGY

ZYMURGY ZYMURGY

ZYMURGY

zyymurgy

+4

+3.25

+2.75

+2.50

3 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Giovanni! LOL  Clap

3 Jul 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

At last a "z" word that all Scrabble enthusiasts will enjoy!

3 Jul 2011