Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is your beloved word?    

What is your beloved word?

misseleonora
Argentina

What is your beloved word?

What�s the word in English you are in love with? 
A word it has no possible translation into your mother tongue, or you just think is unique?
I love the word UPSET, it gives me me the idea of a bunch of indescribable feelings all bad and at the same time!
Mine in Spanish is INCORDIO, it�s something like NUISANCE but not exactly the same. It has a strong sound and I save 2 o 3 words by saying just that only one.
 I will love these ones, if not for ever, until I fall for a couple of new ones **
Language is the milky way!
Eleonora.

17 Jul 2011      

valentinaper
Greece

Very nice topic, misseleonora.
Some people may say there is no such thing as a "favourite" word, but I agree with you.

I think one of my favourite words is "chivalry". I have to use a lot of words in Greek to explain not only the meaning, but also the meaning of time and history in this word.

17 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

One of my favorite words is serendipity. I like the way it sounds and the idea behind it.

17 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

This makes a nice change from the miserablist �words I hate � lists. I remember Stephen Fry singing the fluffy praises of the word �moist �. Me, I �ve always liked the word cribriform (mmm..means perforated, full of holes) but this is the first time I �ve managed to squeeze (mmm...) it into a discussion. 

But I always find Scots/Scots English words more expressive and euphonic; words like speir (to ask questions, to inquire, as well as the more negative, to pry) or glaikit (foolish, stupid-looking). And of course, the old Scots word, glamour - which originally meant �enchantment �. There ye go now!

17 Jul 2011