Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy holidays!    

Happy holidays!

Apryll12
Hungary

Happy holidays!

Hello Everybody!

I�d like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and a great holiday with this extract from Michael Frayn�s writing �Thanks�.

Dear Uncle Arthur,
   Thank you for your extremely generous Christmas present. I don�t know how you guessed, but socks were exactly what I wanted. What socks, too! I have looked it up and see it is a Macpherson tartan. And how clever of you to remember that I take size seven!

Dear Great-Uncle Alexander,
    I scarcely know what to say! I must admit I had been secretly hoping that someone would give me socks - and you did! Socks are always handy to have - and yours were so cleverly and appropriately Christmassy. I don�t think I have ever seen socks with a pattern of holly and mistletoe before, though my favourites are the �Yuletide Lafter� pair. Some of the jokes printed on them are almost too good to keep hidden under one�s trouser-leg!

Dear Great-Aunt Tilly,
    I must write at once to thank you for your magnificent present. I can�t tell you what my feelings were when I opened that huge parcel and found it contained - a pair of socks! It was very clever of you to choose a pair with one red and one grey. They make a great change from the ordinary run of socks, and I shall keep them for very special occasions. And how thoughtful of you to remember that my right foot is two inches longer than my left! I hope you haven�t been having any more trouble with your eyesight recently.

Greetings from Hungary!

19 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

That is so funny... and sooo very true!! Who hasn�t received the dreaded pair of socks?!  LOL

19 Dec 2008     

marzenka
Poland

Kriszti69, when I started to read this extract, I thought it�s a riddle and at the end there will be a question: "What am I?" - I even started to think about a caterpillar which has so many legs that can receive a lot of socks! Smile

19 Dec 2008     

Apryll12
Hungary

Actually, this work of Michael Frayn is much longer and all the little messages are from the same boy who got socks from all his relatives, but I found it so funny and I liked it so much that I wanted to share at least a part of it with you all.

I also had in mind to start gathering ideas from you all and make a list of the worst and the best Christmas presents ever. It may be fun too....

19 Dec 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Well. Kriszty, for sure socks are something my children do, do, do, do hate, for many, many, many years, �cause my mother insists and insists, so, you can imagine, their faces, " Oh, wow, granny dear, what lovely pair of socks, how did you guess I was running out of socks? "
my youngest ( 24 years old) has just arrived and we talked a little about your post and he insisted that I should answer not with the "worst" presents, but with those one always dreams, but, for some strange reason, one never gets. He keeps asking to Santa, since he was about eight or nine, for a FERRARI. Any, he doesn�t complain about the model, but a simple present, like a FERRARI would make his life.
So, he thinks you should be more positive and make a list of real presents, instead of making list of things that aren�t worth. ( See what I have to deal ?????????? )
Another point, he has a friend from Hungary, and he wants me to tell you that your  ??? cheese chocolate or chocolate cheese ???? ( I really don�t know exactly how to translate ) is simply superb.
Well  he is a kind of gourmet, he surely knows what he is talking about.
Hugs and thank you for this piece of art, about Cx presents ( in fact, a very difficult time to mummies who want to guess what to ask Santa.

20 Dec 2008