Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > let ´s recollect our memories...    

let ´s recollect our memories...

Mariethe House
France

let ´s recollect our memories...

I am inspired by one of Ed �s posts
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=28831

and I would like to suggest a topic for everyone to express themselves  according to memories we have. This would be a nice sharing and it could  also be used as reading comprehensions or to  trigger some discussions in class too!Smile

So , this is it!

What are your memories as a child of the rain? Why did I choose this topic? Well it has been raining non stop for  several days here and it �s cold and damp  and it is summer!
However I remember , as a little girl, i would sleep under the roof at my parents house and I could hear the rain and the wind blowing in gusts and the rain beating the skylights and I would snuggle under my duvet and blankets to get warm and listen to the rain raging outside when i was safely installed in warmth and getting ready to be sent to sleep and dream. I loved it!

So What memories does the rain bring back to you? Please scratch all the memories you have , good or bad and share with us!

19 Jul 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I remember being scared by the rattling of thunder and flashes of lightening during a storm. I was 6 or 8 and I often stayed home alone at night when my parents had to work or go out. There was a wardrobe in my room and in the corner next to it there  a vacuum-cleaner box so I would go behind that box in the dark with lights off to hide away from the storm.

Another memory of a poring rain is from my teen years. I remember going hiking in the Carpathian mountains. By the time we had to go back to the base it had been poring heavily and I decided that running down the slope would bring me to the base faster. So I ran as fast as I could skipping over the slippery tree roots sticking out of the old foliage, thinking to myself, "I don �t want to fall, I don �t want to fall!"

Sophia

19 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I love the rain, especialy when I can hear it beating on the windows or roof. When I was a child I would visit my grandma and when it rained the sound of the rain on the tin roof would loll me to sleep. Puerto Rico is known for torrential downpours. Sometimes the rain would come in quickly and last just for a few minutes but would dump tons of water. Other times it would be raining something fierce and just across the street it would be sunny. Other times the kids in the neighborhood would don their bathing suits and run in the rain or play in the water barrels connected to the downspouts. Such fond memories.

20 Jul 2011     

Lucia13
Armenia

Marietheeeeeee,dearrr,I guess you know how much I loveee rain and used to love it as a child too!!!
It �s something that cheers me up,makes me more productive and energetice and lively!
I am longing for Rain!!!
I just recalled that when I was in my 8th month of pregnancy I was caught in a heavy rain,I was soaked to the skin and surprisingly,nothing happened to me:)

20 Jul 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

hi dear Therese

first, thanks a bunch for bringing some lifestyle and a different topic here.

not many memories of rain, except that i always hated rainy days, but, a step aside, I have amazing memories of old May days, when, in my country, it was thunder times.
I was fascinated, lights off, we ate dinner with candles, the black sky coming to life, evertyhing around dark, black.and those windy, wavy flasihng lights crossing the sky.
one day, I �ll write something in my native language about what those out of this world nights were for me. Such a fear, so scared, but so aware and so amazed about nature. What the power of natural elements can be! I �m always fascinated when these storms show up. Such a powerful strenght that pushes us back, to where we belong.
I miss those May thunders, I miss when lights go off by natural reasons, when we are brought back to minimal conditions. I like being brought, some now and then, in light conditions,Wink to understand how soft, weak and helpless all our west world is.

huge hugs, Marie Therese
Linda

20 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Mariethe! Hug Thanks for the interesting topic!

As a child.... I don �t remember! LOL!!! Seriously. You see, a couple of years ago, I had a terrible illness that attacked me.... meningitis, lung infection, liver infection - all 3 instantly got me, at the same time. One day I went to work OK in the morning and by night, I was in the hospital. Kind of "died" for a few seconds, but as a result of the meningitis, I lost a lot of my memory...I don �t have any memories of my life as a child and even more recent years. I guess I can do OK remembering short term events or situations... when I complained to the doctor my loss of memory and to give me some kind of medicine to recuperate it, he laughed and said, my dear, be thankful you �re ALIVE! forget about the memory!

So.... I will share how rain makes me feel TODAY........ is it ok?

When it rains, and mostly on the kind of rain that lasts days and days... my mood kind of goes on the sad side, I know, I know, happiness is not necessarily related to sunshine, but it �s just automatic. But still, I enjoy the rain, I know it �s necessary for nature, and try to have fun on rainy days too, it �s so nice to just cozy up in bed, watch movies, and have a nice cup of hot chocolate...!

My boys also have this taste, so when it is cool and drizzling my son and I just look at each other, and I know he �s thinking "hot chocolate"......!Wink

20 Jul 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

The rain is not in my childhood memories ( I was born in dry Castilla and live in deserted Aragon now), but it �s one of my dearest pleasures today. I enjoy its lively sound as it hits the ground, the fresh smell it leaves behind and the sensation of coziness (does this word exist?) when all those dark clouds wrap the sky and bring it near. I also feel (please let me know if you have noticed this too) that for some reason both teachers and students seem to feel more relaxed when it �s raining, so classes are even enjoyable on rainy days!

20 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Pilar! My dear friend, you are absolutely right! I hadn �t thought of that, but yes, it �s true! when it �s raining, they are much more relaxed!!! Wink  Maybe we should do the rain dance once in a while! LOL

20 Jul 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Silly little Mar,

can �t you relax for even a single rainy minute??? It �s nearly 3 a.m. here now, not rainy at all but awfully windy instead (this, I kind of hate, the wind, oh, no I �m about to take off!). Can we settle for a quiet conversation instead?

(Let me explain: I have to be in my balcony because of my poor connection, I�m afraid I may fly away any minute now!)

20 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Young lady! GO TO BED!!! We �ll continue a quiet conversation tomorrow, so be a good girl, and sleep tight! Hug

20 Jul 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Don �t you dear-young-lady-me, ma �am! Do you really think you can get rid of me so easily? No way! If I can stand this wind I can stay awake  forever. Wacko
Ok, I give in...

Good night all.

20 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >