Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Was there a special teacher in your life? continued    

Was there a special teacher in your life? continued

edrodmedina
United States

Was there a special teacher in your life? continued

My mom, of course was my very first teacher. She did not get beyond seventh grade but she was a great story teller. She would sit me on her lap in a rocking chair in the porch and tell me stories of when she was a little girl. She told me the stories of Juan Bobo, The Three Little Pigs and Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, The Billy Goats Gruff and Gotitas de Oro amongst many others. She would sing and make me feel joyful or she would sing a tale that would make me bawl.

Once I entered school there were other teachers all of whom I remember fondly. There was Mrs. Galarza my first grade teacherin Puerto Rico, Miss Levine and Mrs. Galatelo two of my three second grade teachers from when we moved to Brooklyn New York. I can�t remember the name of my third second grade teacher because I was with her but a short time before moving on to third grade. There was Mrs. Ciano my third grade teacher and the fiery Mr. Pyles who doubled as my classroom teacher and the school�s music teacher and there was, sigh, the golden haired Miss Cohen.

When I was in fourth grade, though, I had a very special teacher by the name of Mrs. Anne Hubbard. She was tall with dark hair and dark a complexion. She was neither beautiful, at least from what you could see on the outside, nor was she plain but she had an elegance about her in her dress and manner. She would wear a scarf about her neck and a comb on each side of her head would hold her dark tresses off of her smooth face. What I did find the most attractive, and so will always have a special place in my heart, about Mrs. Hubbard though, were her compassion, her love for what she did and how she could make each child in a sea of children, feel special.

I recall Mrs. Hubbard taking us to the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan, to the Staten Island Zoo and even to visit the NSS Savannah the first and only, if I�m not mistaken, nuclear powered passenger-cargo ship in the world at that time. But of all the trips I remember taking with her it was the Saturday walking trips that she would take some of us on that eventually led us to a hidden and very intimate children�s theater in an old Brownstone in Brooklyn Heights that I enjoyed the most.

Pinocchio came alive in that theater as well as Hansel and Gretel and Alice in her Wonderland. But what made the time there momentous was Mrs. Hubbard who took the time to nurture us and make us feel loved. All of my school teachers were special but Mrs. Hubbard was "specialer". Was there a Mrs. Hubbard in your life? To read what others have written click on the link http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29552

24 Jul 2011